Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Please identify buckle

Article about: Cheers for that David, I got the info from the Angolia book, I have seen the post war buckles but with the wear on the buckle and the stiching on the tab to me looked period.

Default Please identify buckle

Found on the net such buckle. Want to know who had to do, what age and so on.Please identify bucklePlease identify bucklePlease identify buckle

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Please identify buckle
    P
    Many

What I can tell you is that this is the coat-of-arms of the city of Hamburg.

There is one here listed as a post war (FRD) police buckle, maybe they were re using war time leather tabs on the one you listed!...Siegmund Stephan - Militaria - Shop, mail order and retail collectibles business'

Thank You My Friends

The buckle is a City of Hamburg fire defence buckle, the coat of arms for the city/state fire defence buckles was introduced in 1934, there were many that did it, Hanover, Hessen, West Falen to name a few
    Ben

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    The buckle is a City of Hamburg fire defence buckle, the coat of arms for the city/state fire defence buckles was introduced in 1934, there were many that did it, Hanover, Hessen, West Falen to name a few
    Interesting and that explains the war time tab. Not to doubt you Ben but i thought fire defense etc would be using TR insignia, or could cities/states "opt out" and use their own designs such as this one?...

But surely, the state buckles for the firefighting services had long since been discontinued by 1941 and replaced by the standard "Gott mit uns" Police pattern?

So, is this a pre-1937 buckle re-used in the post-war years or an early post-war buckle (in either case, fitted with a leather tab of wartime manufacture)?

I would presume so, the stitching on the tab looks period with the three ply thread and consistent wear, if used in WW2 and in Hamburg I would imagine it got a lot of use as the allies bombed the crap out of Hamburg.
    Ben

I also think CTD could have made the buckle, compare the catch with these marked ones
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please identify buckle   Please identify buckle  

Please identify buckle  
    Ben

Actually Ben, I have never regarded this buckle as a "pure" Fire Defense type. The city of Hamburg had a long tradition of granting permission for their coat of arms to be displayed on a buckle, to be worn by civil employees and in order to instill a feeling of association, worth and civic pride by the wearer. The subject buckle may at some time have been worn by members of the cities Fire Defense, although I think that it is the final pattern for that as civil employees related and was probably produced and worn, post 1945.

Not at all uncommon to see a leather tongue attached, although one clearly marked as 1940's is a first for myself at least. Usually and instead, the leather tongues are dated late 1930's.

Regards,

David

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast