Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1936 M31 Mess Tin

Article about: I would appreciate some more opinions on this piece, it’s got a marked and dated bottom however the top is not maker marked or dated, however the very top is marked with a 2. Not seen one

Default 1936 M31 Mess Tin

I would appreciate some more opinions on this piece, it’s got a marked and dated bottom however the top is not maker marked or dated, however the very top is marked with a 2. Not seen one like this and there’s lots of pros and cons about it. The top at first glance looks mismatched because of it’s fit however the paint matches, condition matches and its an early top. Honestly I’m stumped and the few more experienced collectors I’ve talked with are too so more opinions are much appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Bodhi

1936 M31 Mess Tin1936 M31 Mess Tin1936 M31 Mess Tin1936 M31 Mess Tin1936 M31 Mess Tin1936 M31 Mess Tin1936 M31 Mess Tin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1936 M31 Mess Tin
    P
    Many

Hello.
    Is this thing yours already ?
    If not maybe it would be interesting to ask the seller to remove the strap and take a good picture of the lid so that we can have a better look at the basis of the handle.
    I don't know what to think about it for now, except that I have never seen a number stamped like that before.

No sir not mine yet, I’ve asked the seller for that picture but I already have been told by him it’s not marked. As for the stamped “2” I’ve seen it on a friends Messkit fully matching and dated 1935 I’m assuming it’s got to do with early kits however it’s significance is unknown to me.

?

Hi Bodhi,
    From the forum I understand a 1 was stamped ,at least in ink on items held back until mobilization at the beginning of WW2.
    I wonder if the 2 was a stamp for equipment available either sooner or later than that but the stamps were quickly discarded for efficiency.
    Alternatively the 2 might be a mark for a replacement component on a repaired/remanufactured item.
    Anyway thanks for another intriguing post and I hope someone has a definitive answer to your question!

What bothers me here is the fact that I have seen a lot of mess kits from early to very late war, and many parts, and I have never seen this yet.
    An ink stamp quickly fades away, but not that kind of stamping, no matter how ruthlessly you treat your mess kit.
    So far I cannot think of anything relevant and / or logical way to explain this lid number, so I will closely follow this topic in hope that someone knows what it's for. It takes some time and efforts to mark the lid like that, so it must have an utility, no matter how elusive it can appear.
    While I am at it I also wonder if it is well centered or not. At least it seems to be...

Quote by Kateri View Post
    Hi Bodhi,
    From the forum I understand a 1 was stamped ,at least in ink on items held back until mobilization at the beginning of WW2.
    I wonder if the 2 was a stamp for equipment available either sooner or later than that but the stamps were quickly discarded for efficiency.
    Alternatively the 2 might be a mark for a replacement component on a repaired/remanufactured item.
    Anyway thanks for another intriguing post and I hope someone has a definitive answer to your question!
    It would be useful if you are able to provide the thread link for this. I've been unable to locate it. Can't say I've seen early kochgeschirr lids marked in this way before. If there is the risk of component parts not fitting together properly then it makes sense to mark both parts the same, marking the lid only doesn't make sense to me.

It looks tidy though.

I agree.
    It doesn't seem relevant as a step in the assembly process, not to mention the fact that if so we should have seen many other examples by now, even if it was made for limited period of time.

I will ask permission from my friend if I can post images of his Messkit with the same type of stamp, just so it can be seen on a another early kit.

Here is my friends kit, a lovely prewar example one of the best I’ve seen. Interestingly his is marked with the 2 on top and bottom so I have asked the seller for a picture of the bottom too.

The last two pictures show the “2” marking

1936 M31 Mess Tin1936 M31 Mess Tin1936 M31 Mess Tin1936 M31 Mess Tin1936 M31 Mess Tin1936 M31 Mess Tin

It was already surprising to find a number on the lid, to have a second number under the mess kit is even more so.
    A very long time ago I had a ZpStZ 36 mess kit in a rather decent preservation state, and I am positive about the fact that it didn't showed anything like that anywhere.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast