Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

5L Trinkwasserkanister - does anyone know its history?

Article about: Hi All, I recently came into possession of this, which was sold to me as an aluminium Luftwaffe emergency water canister used aboard transport planes and bombers dating from the second world

?

Question 5L Trinkwasserkanister - does anyone know its history?

Hi All,

I recently came into possession of this, which was sold to me as an aluminium Luftwaffe emergency water canister used aboard transport planes and bombers dating from the second world war. I've been trying to piece together information on it, however the information I’ve found appears sparce and conflicting. Does anyone have any information on this item they can share?

On cleaning it up and based on its weight, it appears to be steel rather than aluminium as previously described. Also, the only stamps I can find are the "D" on one side of the rear handle and "D" and "F" stamped on the other side.

Can anyone tell me if this is indeed a genuine piece of WWII German equipment and where it would have been used? A few of the examples I’ve found in searches described them rare. Are they truly rare or are they an item nobody really wants hence not being particularly well documented and discussed? I mainly bought the item out of general curiosity and because it looks good on the shelf with the big white cross (as well as to annoy my German girlfriend with constant questioning on German words that kept cropping up in my searches) however it would be nice to know its full history.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Jon5L Trinkwasserkanister - does anyone know its history?5L Trinkwasserkanister - does anyone know its history?5L Trinkwasserkanister - does anyone know its history?5L Trinkwasserkanister - does anyone know its history?5L Trinkwasserkanister - does anyone know its history?5L Trinkwasserkanister - does anyone know its history?5L Trinkwasserkanister - does anyone know its history?5L Trinkwasserkanister - does anyone know its history?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 5L Trinkwasserkanister - does anyone know its history?
    P
    Many

Hi Jon.

Your example is pictured in the link below, but there is no mention of a Luftwaffe connection.

https://www.cdvandt.org/D-Luft-8800-...-cands-etc.pdf

Kind regards,

Will
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 5L Trinkwasserkanister - does anyone know its history?  

The link illustrates the many variants to suit every possible scenario ........ so VERY Germanic!!!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Defo original JG1914, I've got one also but with less of the original paintwork.

WW2 still that was posted on the Wehrmacht forum a few years ago to prove its pedigree.

5L Trinkwasserkanister - does anyone know its history?

?

Thanks very much all for the help. I am ashamed to say that until now I didn’t know that there were so many water carrier variants employed by the Germans. I assumed they all just used the eponymous "Jerry Can" for water transport. The photo seems conclusive that the Wehrmacht had them in use then. I’ve not found anything definitive so say they were designed and made for use in air transport etc other than on for sales posts online which don’t seem all that reliable.
    Paint wise I assumed that if it was an original WW2 item, it’s not that type of item someone would go to the effort to repaint and make it look original and I took it to be the original, lovingly used paint job. I do like a bit of distress, makes them feel more genuine.

Regards, Jon

?

wow, and a photo of one being used! amazing.