Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

An allegedly german officer document crate

Article about: Hello gentlemen. The corpus delicti was first seen on a french militaria forum and has so far failed to convince me of its german origin. After several attempts to identify it this crate rem

Default An allegedly german officer document crate

Hello gentlemen.
    The corpus delicti was first seen on a french militaria forum and has so far failed to convince me of its german origin.
    After several attempts to identify it this crate remains a mystery, so it seems to me than asking for advice is the right thing to do.

To describe it briefly it is a metal crate of 36cm in height and 74 cm of length that has a rubber seam inside the lid and that can be secured with padlocks when closed.
    When opened the lid seems to be used as a desk with removable / missing parts to support it.
    It has been " identified " as a german officer document crate by some Facebook groups and in at least one russian fake YouTube video, which is all but a promising start.
    An antiques dealer had one similar to the above pictures but painted in a more gray-green shade and with remains of an
    address in the Pas de Calais region, which in itself doesn't prove anything.
    So if anyone has an answer, a clue or any kind of info it will be greatly appreciated, thank you and have a good day.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement An allegedly german officer document crate
    P
    Many

Hello Edward.

I think this is a document box, not for officers, but for the company clerk to keep paperwork in.

The pictures I have posted come from an amazing find from many years ago. A haul of Waffen SS documents was found buried in a forest (possibly in Eastern Germany), but I can’t remember which SS unit they belonged to.

Notice the box in the photos I posted. The quality of the photos isn't the best, but I would say the design and size of the box is the same as the example you have posted.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Will.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An allegedly german officer document crate   An allegedly german officer document crate  

Attached Images Attached Images An allegedly german officer document crate 

The documents were found in the 1990s and relate to 32. SS-Freiwilligen-Grenadier-Division, 30. Januar. The find is known as the Halbe hoard/Halbe box.

Hortfund Wehrpasse "32. SS-Freiwilligen-Grenadier-Division 30. Januar“ in den 90er in Halbe - Tagesausbeute militarische Bodenfunde - Militaria Fundforum

Halbe Battle -
    Battle of Halbe - Wikipedia

Thank you.
    The box seen in the pictures you posted ressembles the one I posted on behalf of the owner and the size could match.

?

The OP's box is definitely a Wehrmacht item. They're usually referred to as documents boxes and seem to have been used to store unit paperwork.

There is a scene in the 1959 Stalingrad movie where Wolfgang Preiss is using one as a personal footlocker, so I suppose it's conceivable that officers may have requisitioned them for themselves.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An allegedly german officer document crate  

Thank you.
    That's an interesting reference. I was at first wondering if it wasn't used for personnal belongings because of the possibility to use padlocks.

Hello, doyou think this box is Russian WWII, post war or from another country ? Not German.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Hello.
    I have been looking into this for quite some time now and I haven't been able to find any period picture or document that proves without the shadow of a doubt that it is german and dates back to the Second World War.
    It seems to be common knowledge that is a ww2 german item, so I cannot help but thinking that it is rather surprising, to say the least, that there is no trace of it anywhere.
    The owner clearly wants it to be a ww2 item and keeps sending me links from sellers in Estonia or whatever, which doesn't prove anything, but so far I cannot share his blind optimism. I do not want it to be a fake or a period item, I just want to know what is, and so far I didn't found anything.

Hello there.

Here is another one.

Description -
    Wehrmacht officer chest from World War 2, made of galvanized sheet steel, size approx. 75 X 40 X 35 cm., Normal condition, originals;

Wehrmacht officer chest from World War 2

I know what you mean and I have never seen a period photo of one of these either, but I will keep searching.

Kind regards,

Will
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An allegedly german officer document crate   An allegedly german officer document crate  

An allegedly german officer document crate   An allegedly german officer document crate