Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Camo German binoculars

Article about: Camo German binoculars dienstglass.. Camouflage typical of Normandy..

I saw this yesterday but got diverted before I could reply.

My immediate reaction was puzzlement. It seems an odd thing to do to a piece of kit this small especially when at the time in Normandy one would expect the time taken to do this would have been much better spent.

Obviously one can't say for certain that it isn't a period affectation but it isn't something that would sell this item to me I'm afraid.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Camo German binoculars
    P
    Many

You should know - as any army vet would know Mark - that squaddies often liked to personalise their own equipment when 'on active service'. It's a 'soldier' thing that civilian collectors of militaria do not always really appreciate. They try to analyse why on earth it would be worth doing such a thing, and usually come up with the answer that it wouldn't, so they probably didn't.

Cheers,
    Steve

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    You should know - as any army vet would know Mark - that squaddies often liked to personalise their own equipment when 'on active service'. It's a 'soldier' thing that civilian collectors of militaria do not always really appreciate. They try to analyse why on earth it would be worth doing such a thing, and usually come up with the answer that it wouldn't, so they probably didn't. Cheers, Steve
    Absolutely Steve. As you say there is no end to the "embelishments" soldiers the world over will add to their kit which is why I didn't condemn this piece but simply said I thought it odd and that it doesn't appeal to me. Plus if one accepts it as period done I think it was done after the binos had already seen considerable service.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

these babies were there and done that!!

The issue for me is not the likelihood of an individual painting his binoculars during WW2, rather it's the odd paint wear patterns we see before us. That to me suggests an attempt at aging, and so likely is fake.

Must say that the Australian Army did paint their binos in WW2, here's one of my pairs (showing correct service wear)Attachment 1462272

?

So you think it's a war production?..☹️

If i look at the binos, i can see paint over the places where the black protective cover has worn off.... of course the cammo could have been applied after the bino’s has been used heavily in combat, but normally this is a bad sign.....

Can you determine what kind of paint has been used ??

To be honest, it’s impossible to say when the cammo has been applied..... but if you haven’t paid much for it..... and as long as you’re happy with them....

Tom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2