Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

CFL 44 Canteen

Article about: Recently added this nice example of a late war canteen to the collection, slowly growing the canteen addiction now too. It’s got a Gabardine cover and enamel cup and bottle. Not much rust

Default CFL 44 Canteen

Recently added this nice example of a late war canteen to the collection, slowly growing the canteen addiction now too. It’s got a Gabardine cover and enamel cup and bottle. Not much rust bleeding through and tends to all remain in great condition.

Happy Collecting,
    Bodhi

CFL 44 CanteenCFL 44 CanteenCFL 44 CanteenCFL 44 CanteenCFL 44 CanteenCFL 44 CanteenCFL 44 CanteenCFL 44 CanteenCFL 44 Canteen

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement CFL 44 Canteen
    P
    Many

That's a very nice canteen. I really like those late models.

Hello,
    The cover is erstaz cloth, not gabardine and the coating is red lacquer, not enamel (the enamel used during WWII has never been red, it was black, blue, green and mixed black/grey/white and was much thicker than lacquer).
    Still a nice example in VG condition, congrats and thanks for sharing
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Cheers, for that correction and the information. I knew I shoulda stuck to the pre war stuff

Quote by BodhiEtheridge View Post
    I knew I shoulda stuck to the pre war stuff

No, you're right to get late war stuff. The materials are much more varied, it is full of superb colors which do not exist in the equipment of pre war or early war. The early canteens are dull, all made of aluminum, with felt cover, black painted cup and plain leather straps. Late war is fun with painted steel, lacquered steel, enamel steel canteens, grey or blue ersatz cloth, web, web and leather, pigskin or hemp straps, steel cups with red lacquer, olive green paint or brown enamel or bakelite cups that come in black, orange or light green......Late war is fun...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Pre war has always been a favourite for me because of the harder to find early dates, I’ve just now started to get into late war canteens and I must say I agree it’s definitely more varied and interesting!

Cheers,
    Bodhi