Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

directional wooden sign

Article about: Hello Guys Any possibility to know whether this sign could be original ? testing the paint for lead? Thanks for your help. Have a nice day

Default directional wooden sign

Hello Guys

Any possibility to know whether this sign could be original ?

testing the paint for lead?

Thanks for your help.
    Have a nice day
    directional wooden sign
    directional wooden sign
    directional wooden sign
    directional wooden sign
    directional wooden sign
    directional wooden sign
    directional wooden sign
    directional wooden sign

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement directional wooden sign
    P
    Many

Testing the paint might help but remember that lead based paint was in use world wide for decades after WWII. The fact that it is made of wood is probably a good sign but absolutely no guarantee as wood again was used for a considerable period until metal signs became economical to produce.
    The actual graphic format of the sign is virtually identical to that still in use today (bear in mind these things are locally made in garrison workshops or local civil authority facilities).

directional wooden sign

If this is the item offered for sale at 1275 Euros I think you would really need to want it quite badly.

Reliable provenance would be a key issue in any case.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thank you Mark
    No possibility to have a reliable provenance. From Alsace but true or not...
    Anyway too much doubt for this stratospheric price!
    Warm regards
    Phil

Quote by philgilou View Post
    Thank you Mark
    No possibility to have a reliable provenance. From Alsace but true or not...
    Anyway too much doubt for this stratospheric price!
    Warm regards
    Phil
    I think that is sensible. Of course there is no reason that it could not be genuine but equally there is nothing to say that it is genuine especially as it would be easy to reproduce and age.

We have seen here many fake signs with all kinds of fantastic stories. Some signs more than others generate great interest but all have the same problems.

For example; During the time of the Berlin Wall tourists would regularly steal the Allied Sector signs (British especially as they were a little more attractive to the eye than the US or French ones). I have two from my time there, one from the Wall (W. Berlin/ Soviet Sector boundary) and one from the Wire (W. Berlin / DDR boundary) but I know they are genuine because part of my job included ensuring the replacement of the ones stolen. If I didn't have the knowledge of real ones that I do I doubt I would buy one from a dealer.

See post #97 here;

Ugly War Rooms?

Regards

Mark

EDIT
    PS As a further example, the German state of Bavaria (Styled the Free State of Bavaria) has had great trouble with souvenir hunters stealing the state boundary signs which they mostly resolved by having specially made items available in tourist shops. Ideal crime free solution for most souvenir hunters but by no means an original sign.

directional wooden sign
    Last edited by Watchdog; 05-16-2024 at 10:30 AM. Reason: addition PS
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I believe this is Postwar Bundeswehr as well...

Thanks to all.
    Will pass on it

Lux antiques have some very nice items, but this is way too much without more documentary evidence. Money well saved for something nicer.