Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ESB 1932 Canteen

Article about: So I just stumbled across this canteen and I’m in the process of purchasing it, no payment has been made just yet but before I commit I’d like some other opinions. It to me looks all goo

Default ESB 1932 Canteen

So I just stumbled across this canteen no payment has been made just yet so I can turn back but I’d like some other opinions. It to me looks all good, it’s in brilliant condition and the wear on it that is present matches to my other all matching canteens. These are the only pics. It’s the earliest I’ve ever seen even if it’s just the cap and bottle. I’m aware this is probably a little harder to ask about because the earliest everyone that I’ve asked has seen is 1934 so nobody so far has really given me a straight answer.

Edit: the only thing I’m questioning is the cover, I’ve not seen snap buttons in aluminum before, and there is pebbled leather. the cover also appears unmarked.

Cheers,
    Bodhi

ESB 1932 CanteenESB 1932 CanteenESB 1932 CanteenESB 1932 CanteenESB 1932 CanteenESB 1932 CanteenESB 1932 CanteenESB 1932 CanteenESB 1932 Canteen
    Last edited by BodhiEtheridge; 06-02-2021 at 12:59 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ESB 1932 Canteen
    P
    Many

Are you sure they are alloy Bodhi?
    The caps look darker, like patinated steel....
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I do see that now, the top one seems to have a little rust. I’m still unsure what to do with this example, a friend said the hook is a political style and the cup seems like that would add up. The cover also seems like a mid war example. But the bottle and cap are still very early which draws me to it as I highly doubt I’ll find a complete 32 canteen.

Quote by BodhiEtheridge View Post
    the only thing I’m questioning is the cover, I’ve not seen snap buttons in aluminum before, and there is pebbled leather. the cover also appears unmarked.
    Hello.
    Aluminium snap buttons do exist on water canteens covers, but they are shaped like a smooth dome, simply painted black, and so far I have seen them used on canteens dating from 1936 / 1940.
    Those shown here aren't aluminium nor brass, probably chromed steel or something like that.
    The hook is correct for an early canteen, the cup wasn't meant to be there, and unfortunately the cover with pebbled leather parts must be a replacement, so you would be paying for just the canteen, the cap and the leather straps.

Hello,
    It is a put together canteen, the cover is a later production and the cup does not belong here...still always nice to see a 1932 dated example...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Thank you all for the replies and the help, my next question would have to be if this is worth picking up. It’s priced at what you would pay for a very basic canteen and isn’t too expensive. Normally I would steer far away from a mismatch canteen but maybe it’s possible to find a 32 dated cup and cover? I’m also aware that what is 32 dated is very rare meaning it would be hard to find these again.

Finding a 1932 cover must be extremely difficult / almost impossible, for the cup I honestly don't know, but in more than 30 years of collecting military gear I haven't seen any dated prior to 1935.
    The canteen itself, if not overpriced, is certainly worth picking up.

The set is priced at 125€ about what I’d pay for a bare basic matching canteen. I’m definitely tempted to buy at that price but unsure if that’s worth it.

To be honest with you I wouldn't buy this for more than half that sum.
    It is very rare indeed, but only to cause a far greater hindrance when it comes to completing the set, not to mention the fact that if I was to buy this I wouldn't know for sure how an early cover would look like, meaning that you would have to find one that is clearly marked and is still brand new.
    The cup marking would not fade away, but finding one would be a great challenge as well, so in my opinion it would be better to buy a complete set, eventhough it will take time and a far greater amount of money to do so.

Can I also add ( through experience ) that trying to get covers that fit correctly is a pain.... after years, they shrink to fit a particular shape and not all canteens are exactly identical.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast