Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Flare Casing?

Article about: Hello Forum! I have been exploring some Westwall Bunkers (Will Post my exploration results soon) and i found this shell/flare casing on the ground right infront of a german WW2 MG Bunker. Do

Default Flare Casing?

Hello Forum!

I have been exploring some Westwall Bunkers (Will Post my exploration results soon) and i found this shell/flare casing on the ground right infront of a german WW2 MG Bunker.
    Do you have any idea what it is? I think it could be a Flare gun casing? Its roughly 15x3cm, its a non magetic metal, probably aluminium.
    The Stamps are a red star, aswell as white writing wich looks like: 97 55 / XT 70 / 7I1C

Any help and Opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
    Adravor

Flare Casing?Flare Casing?Flare Casing?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Flare Casing?
    P
    Many

I have a example of a German flare here, dated May of 1940 Expired on June 30 1946 ironically. I am unsure if the Germans would have a red star marking for obvious reasons but I could be wrong on that one. I can't say its Soviet but it would be my guess personally.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Flare Casing?   Flare Casing?  

I dont think its german either, the red star wouldnt fit. But soviet? On the Siegfried Line/Westwall? Could be a capture piece possibly, but even if, i didnt find anything soviet looking like this.

Me neither, Soviet documentation is awful compared to American or German, Soviet stuff did end up that far west like Ppsh-41s and other captured gear, I believe even far as Normandy. None the less, a nice little mystery we got on our hands.

Here are more pictures:

Flare Casing?Flare Casing?Flare Casing?Flare Casing?
    Flare Casing?

Ok got it now. It is the flare housing tube. It contains the flare it's self. The hole in the bottom allows for the gasses on launch to ignite a delay pellet. On reaching height the delay ignites an expulsion charge that expels the flare and parachute, (if fitted) at the same time igniting the flare composition. It then falls back to earth whilst the flare burns on decent. Some contain a small rocket that augmented launcher charge for additions height.

One warning though I dealt with an incident with one of these in Sennelager where it was handled badly and the rocket took the man's hand off!

Date, could well be wartime probably 25mm Leuchtpistole mod 34 .

Quote by vegetius View Post
    Ok got it now. It is the flare housing tube. It contains the flare it's self. The hole in the bottom allows for the gasses on launch to ignite a delay pellet. On reaching height the delay ignites an expulsion charge that expels the flare and parachute, (if fitted) at the same time igniting the flare composition. It then falls back to earth whilst the flare burns on decent. Some contain a small rocket that augmented launcher charge for additions height.

One warning though I dealt with an incident with one of these in Sennelager where it was handled badly and the rocket took the man's hand off!

Date, could well be wartime probably 25mm Leuchtpistole mod 34 .
    You'll love this one... Mod 34? That would be a 26mm casing. I don't remember seeing a German L&S with the Text "wrapped". That was more of a french specialty.
    The 5 pointed Red Star did become a Symbol of communism but in this case it just means a red flare (or Multi-Star).

So, your guess would be a French Casing? That would also possible imo and still very interesting! But i´m glad its clear now that it is indeed part of a Flare!
    Its empty, so theres should be no danger of it exploding, i´m careful with all ordanance and would never take anything live with me!

Teck,

Star or Illum same as, however the location does not immediately scream French to me. The size is also approximate, give or take a mill or two.
    If its grey and got a trunk its either an elephant or a mouse going on holiday! Sometimes the application of Occam's Razor is needed.

R

Just because I haven't seen something doesn't mean much. It could well be 26,6mm Deutsch or 26.5mm French (both are 1.05"). Given the fact there's no extraction shoulder it was probably "Rocket assisted"
    like vegetius already presumed. So it could even be the projectile/carrier for the 28mm flare pistol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast