MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Found another German Field Kitchen - (Feldküche Hf.14)

Article about: Hello again fellow collectors and field kitchen enthusiasts! Yesterday I picked up another German field kitchen for my collection. This beauty was found in a barn by a fellow collector here

Default Found another German Field Kitchen - (Feldküche Hf.14)

Hello again fellow collectors and field kitchen enthusiasts!

Yesterday I picked up another German field kitchen for my collection. This beauty was found in a barn by a fellow collector here in Norway not too long ago - only a few kilometers from where he lives. German field kitchens are quite rare, and locating one for sale could take years! Never had i dreamt of purchasing one "in my sleep". Early one morning a few weeks ago I was woken by a phone call. I can hardly remember our conversation, but the stranger on the other end of the line told me that he was helping a friend selling a German field kitchen. I was still drowsy and not fully awake during this conversation, and I probably thought I was dreaming or something. Of course I could not resist the temptation of another field kitchen and quote; "I'll take it - name your price". I fell asleep again after the deal was made, and later when I woke up I realised that it was real and not a dream - you can imagine the joy i felt!

So yesterday, my fiancé and I rented a truck and drove 5 hours one way to pick it up - all in all it was a 15 hour round trip (approximately). The stranger, now a friend, was a lovely guy! We got a tour of his little museum/collection and shared collecting stories. I must take this opportunity to note that there are some very kind and fantastic people in this hobby/community!
    It was a beautiful sunny day and a fun road trip.

Found another German Field Kitchen - (Feldküche Hf.14) Found another German Field Kitchen - (Feldküche Hf.14)
    Last edited by WWII History and Reenacting; 06-10-2023 at 06:12 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Found another German Field Kitchen - (Feldküche Hf.14)
    P
    Many

Found another German Field Kitchen - (Feldküche Hf.14)

Unlike the original photo above, which shows the regular/early variant of the "Kleine Feldküche Hf.14" or "small field kitchen model Hf.14", my new field kitchen has the additional roasting compartment in the front. This additional compartment provided the field cook with improved cooking possibilities and was as previously mentioned seen on later production field kitchens. I also believe that some earlier models were later upgraded with this feature. My new field kitchen is dated 1940, and I am not sure at this time if this is an upgraded or original manufactured improved version.

This particular field kitchen was sadly used post-war by the norwegian army. It might be wrong to use the word "sadly", as chances are that it would probably not have survived. It could have been scrapped or melted down after the war if it wasn't for Its extended service with the Norwegian army after the war. The sad part I'm referring to here is the fact that they have done some "work" on it, "modernised/improved" it with a new axle and rubber wheels - as well as covering the whole thing with disgusting olive green paint. During the war this field kitchen originally had wooden wheels - and my plan is to restore it back to its former glory

Found another German Field Kitchen - (Feldküche Hf.14) Found another German Field Kitchen - (Feldküche Hf.14)

Above: A closer look at the additional roasting compartment and the front section of the field kitchen. The inside is fairly clean, solid and free from rust - its been covered in a layer of grease to preserve it. It's nice to see that the pressure release valve made from brass and the wooden handle on the lid are complete and still present (these parts are generally missing).

Overall, besides from a few smaller dents and some rust, the front section of the field kitchen is quite solid. Also note that both the asch- and coffee grinder drawer is present (usually missing). The T-handel for the door of the additional roasting compartment firebox is missing - luckily I believe I have a spare somewhere.

Above left: A closer look at the firebox for the additional roasting compartment. Note that the cast iron grates and the firebox drawer are still present and in good condition.
    Above right: The original German instruction plack with information about the additional roasting compartment is still present underneath the post war paint.

Above: On the right side on the front section of the field kitchen is a storage compartment for various equipment - it also housed the integral coffee grinder. The holes on the photo on the right is where the grinder was secured and the axel passed through the "outer wall" for attaching the crank/handle on the outside. Note the original German gray colour under the post war norwegian green paint in the scratch.

Above: The storage compartment (that we touched upon in the previous description above) is accessed from the top. Inside I was pleasantly surprised to find both a missing part for the main cooking kettle and the "funnel" for the coffee grinder. As mentioned above, this compartment contained various types of equipment. Note the original color inside as well as the coffee grinder drawer at the bottom witch is accessed from the outside.

Above: This is supposedly the original coffee grinder from this particular field kitchen - I put the funnel that i found in the compartment on top (the funnel is missing a lid).
    Last edited by WWII History and Reenacting; 06-10-2023 at 06:26 AM.

MAP
    ?

Congratulations and Uber cool. Great detailed photos and commentary
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Hi,

Wow. Great find.
    Keep us up to date on the restoration.

Thanks,

Danger

Fascinating! I have a keen interest in field equipment, and this is one of the most interesting posts I've seen in a while. Thanks for sharing!

TWS
    ?

WOW! Great find and thanks for sharing it with us.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Thank you all so much for your kind words and positive feedback gentlemen, I really appreciate it!

?

Fabulous!
    I’ve always had a hankering for one of these... Most envious, but I look forward to following the restoration.
    Just fabulous.
    All the best,
    Rob

Following up on the the tour of this field kitchen following the positive feedback and interest on my previous posts!

Above: A closer look into compartment number 5 on this field kitchen version/model. This was a dedicated storage compartment for various rations, more specifically canisters containing; Tea, Coffee, Salt, and spices. The various canisters slotted in between the wooden separators to prevent the from rattling around. Unfortunately the inside of the compartment, as well as the wooden spacers have been painted post war. The good part is that everything is in rather good condition.

The canisters used with the small field kitchen models (Hf.12 and Hf.14), with both the early and the later variants was the tall type; measuring in millimeters: 100 X 150 , and 410 mm tall. Apparently the following canisters are original to the field kitchen - which is pretty cool!

Above: A beautiful example of a 1942 dated coffee canister for the Kleine Feldküche. This one is made from stamped sheet metal, as opposed to earlier examples made from aluminium. It's nice to see that it still retains most of its original dark gray paint. The German word for coffee (Kaffee) is embossed into the lid, as well as the date and the manufacturing code "ave" which I believe to be Preuss u. Heinrich, located in Doebeln in Sachsen. - Not to forget the waffenamt found below the date! There are no dents, notable damage/deformation or rust on it which is somewhat rare for these types of items.

Above: Another beautiful example - if one looks past the horrible postwar applied olive green paint (original dark gray paint underneath). Luckily the paint is usually easy to remove without damaging the original paint underneath. Similarly to the example above, this one is also made from stamped sheet metal and also appear to be dated 1942. I'm unable to read the manufacture code at this time unfortunately. The German word for spices (Gewürz) is embossed into the lid. There are no dents, notable damage/deformation or rust on this one either. I must also note that the inside is in stunning condition (original paint)!

Above: Yet another beautiful example! Sadly this one was also painted post war, but as I said, luckily easily removable (original dark gray paint underneath). Similarly to the two other examples this one is also made from stamped sheet metal, but dated 1941. The manufacturer is at this time a mystery to me - I read "kom"? But can't find a manufacturer under this code. The German word for tea (tee) is embossed into the lid, as well as the manufacturers code, date, and waffenamt. There are no dents, notable damage/deformation or note wordy rust on this one either.

Thanks to BlackCat1982 for information on the manufacturer;
    "KOM 41 is the maker code for Metallwarenfabrik Ludwig Fehringer of Salzburg-Itzling"
    Last edited by WWII History and Reenacting; 06-11-2023 at 07:56 PM.

Incredible find.

When I went to the Kall Trail a number of years ago (Hurtgen Forest) battlefield, Vossenack, I went to the restaurant "Mestrenger Mühle" and had a wonderful meal (Erbseneintopf mit Kassler) (pea soup with ham) that the owners of the restaurant said would have been prepared in a German Field Kitchen. I will never forget the trip, the historic areas visited or the food.

Good luck with this restoration, keep us posted on the progress..

Smitty

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast