Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gasmask and canister

Article about: Hi Gents, Have these items for your authentication any info would be much appreciated. I had more pics of mask but they disappeared off my post when loading has a number 2 on rubber plus I h

Default Gasmask and canister

Hi Gents,
    Have these items for your authentication any info would be much appreciated.
    Paint is fairly worn and is it an unusual colour, inside is green.
    Common item?
    Thank you in advance
    Cheers
    Grant
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gasmask and canister   Gasmask and canister  

Gasmask and canister   Gasmask and canister  

Gasmask and canister  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gasmask and canister
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

I am happy to stand corrected but I think that this is a post war repaint for use by another country

I got one as a kid in the 70's. Despite the post war paint and use, I'll keep it forever as my Dad got it for me

See the link below with the explanation of these

M38 Gas Mask - Kriegsmarine???
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks for the information,
    So it was all original but just overpainted?
    I'm looking at purchasing it from a mate and does this mean it has not much value.
    Is the mask untouched.
    Again thanks for the feedback.
    Cheers
    Grant

MAP
    ?

The mask and can are all original. The paint on both the can and the mask however is suspect with the consensus being that it is post war.

I am not sure what the value on one of these would be but I would expect it to be significantly less.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Correct, the grey paint on the canister and yellow paint on the mask are both postwar additions. The original paint will be underneath. These are sometimes sold, either unknowingly or not, as 'Afrika Korps' masks.

The 'G' and '8' ink stamps are commonplace; I have one that's virtually identical to yours. If I remember correctly, these were issued postwar in the Netherlands, but I'm not one hundred percent sure. If the postwar paint doesn't bother you, it's still an authentic WWII-produced mask, just not 'correct' if you're looking for something that's completely original.

B.B.

MAP
    ?

It's the Yellow Paint that always confused me. I can understand the blue/grey repaint. But the yellow looks like it was done when these were made/ assembled at the factory.

Quote by MAP View Post
    It's the Yellow Paint that always confused me. I can understand the blue/grey repaint. But the yellow looks like it was done when these were made/ assembled at the factory.
    If you look closely at this one, you can see the remnants of blue paint under the yellow on the metal parts of the mask. Mine is green underneath. If done carefully, it would probably be possible to liberate the original paint from the postwar stuff, but as you’ve noted they were very well painted. It wouldn’t be easy at all, but worth the effort if it could be done right.

B.B.

Thanks for all your info Gents,
    I will probably still get this item. It's quite hard to get original items here in NZ.
    I would probably stuff it up if I tried removing paint.
    Cheers
    Grant

If you can get this set for a good price, as the behalter is a bit tatty, you are onto a good thing. The yellow paint is indeed post war, the blue paint on the eyepieces and snout identifying that it could be used with magnetic equipment.

Thanks Blackcat I will research prices on these items since I know a bit more about it. Will have to convert money to nz dollars as no comparisons in NZ.
    Cheers to everyone who commented on this post.
    Grant

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast