MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Gasmask M38 and canister manifacturer markings identification.

Article about: Hi. This is my first M38 gasmask with canister, matching numbers. Please, can you help me to identify these three markings on canister and gasmask? I mean the symbol on closing latch, the ma

Default Gasmask M38 and canister manifacturer markings identification.

Hi. This is my first M38 gasmask with canister, matching numbers.
    Please, can you help me to identify these three markings on canister and gasmask? I mean the symbol on closing latch, the marking DITMAR on spare glasses compartment and the AB marking inside gas mask, between glasses. I suppose DITMAR is canister manufacturer, so the symbol is his logo? Maybe AB stand for AUER BERLIN? Thank you!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gasmask M38 and canister manifacturer markings identification.   Gasmask M38 and canister manifacturer markings identification.  

Gasmask M38 and canister manifacturer markings identification.   Gasmask M38 and canister manifacturer markings identification.  

Gasmask M38 and canister manifacturer markings identification.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gasmask M38 and canister manifacturer markings identification.
    P
    Many

Auer Berlin is correct! I'm not sure but I think Ditmar is an Austrian maker, others will know for sure. Nice set.

I've done some checking in the codebook.... unfortunately i cannot find DITMAR.... there is a Dittmar, R., Lampen u. Metallwarenfabrik in Vienna, but i don't know if it is the same.....

Auer Berlin indeed is correct

The sign on the closure probably is the maker with code "frn" (which all closing latches from 1941 have) and stands for "Federn-, Draht- und Metallwarenfabrik Rudolf Lang" but this is an assumption, because also another mark is encountered on closing latches.....

Tom

Thank you guys. I saw there was a Ditmar lamps oil manufacturer in Vienna. Maybe in war time he also produced gasmask canisters...After all the "Roeckl, J., Handschuhfabrik" in Munchen produced also the CLF marked filter for antigas mask, not only gloves! :-)

Makes sense. All kinds of manufacturers would have been repurposed for the war effort across a multitude of countries. A good example is Avon, a prolific manufacturer of British gas masks during the war; a company more popularly known as a maker of car tires!

B.B.