Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Gebirgsjäger Googles - WW2 / BW ?

Article about: Hi Everyone, Picked up a carton of four photo albums of a Gebirgsjäger who recently died, in the carton bottom were bits and pieces of militaria and these googles. The soldier had been with

?

Default Gebirgsjäger Googles - WW2 / BW ?

Hi Everyone,
    Picked up a carton of four photo albums of a Gebirgsjäger who recently died, in the carton bottom were bits and pieces of militaria and these googles. The soldier had been with Gebirgsjäger Regt 91 in the war and later with the Bundeswehr Gebirgsjäger. Does any member know, out of which era the googles come - the makers stamp reads BUSCH - not so clear on the picture. The lenses are clear in the bottom half, from half-way up starts a light brown filter darkening to the top perhaps ski or motor bike googles? Any information appreciated.
    Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gebirgsjäger Googles - WW2 / BW ?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Gebirgsjäger Googles - WW2 / BW ? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gebirgsjäger Googles - WW2 / BW ?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Gebirgsjäger Googles - WW2 / BW ?

Hello Alec,
    I have never seen this type of two parts elastic band but the rest looks like very much the first type of Kradfahrer googles...you can't forget those square frames. This model is perhaps civilian. Not sure, but maybe that the military type was inspired by a civilian type. I like them
    Busch is a well known maker of optical devices.
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

Hi JPhilip,
    Thanks for your post, I've included two extra shots from reverse & edge on. Looking through various forums, makes me realize how many different styles there were. I've only found the Busch firm's stamp, I believe the firm which also made binoculars was reduced to rubble at the end of the war (seen pictures on internet), would you happen to know if it restarted up ? if not, then the googles would have to be war time manufactured. Thanks again for the information.
    Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gebirgsjäger Googles - WW2 / BW ?   Gebirgsjäger Googles - WW2 / BW ?  

Hi Alex, they have to be pre war/wartime as the company was not reformed after WW2. See here for more info:

Emil Busch - Camerapedia.org

Cheers, Ade.

?

Default Re: Gebirgsjäger Goggles - WW2 / BW ?

Hi Ade,
    Thanks for the link, read it with interest. As you say the goggles have to be pre war / wartime. After reading your post I spent a couple of hours trawling through the internet, didn't find any exact matches with my goggles and the BUSCH stamp. However came upon this site -
    BMW R12: History/12b

it shows a picture of model 2 wehrmacht goggles -model 2 had ventilation holes in the frame. As JPhillip writes they don't have two part elastic bands or filtering lenses, otherwise very similar front & reverse lay out. I didn't come across any goggles with this particular BUSCH stamp. Unless a goggles collector can add something, I may have to wait until September and take them with me to Reichertshofen Military fair and ask someone there.
    Thanks everyone for their impute.
    Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gebirgsjäger Googles - WW2 / BW ?