Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Help with Plate

Article about: Hello All, I was hoping to get some help with the markings on this plate as I know they are making a lot of knock-offs. Other than the stampings on the reverse there are no other details or

Default Help with Plate

Hello All, I was hoping to get some help with the markings on this plate as I know they are making a lot of knock-offs. Other than the stampings on the reverse there are no other details or markings, just plain white glaze. I believe it was made for Labor corps ? perhaps a mess hall? Any help would be welcome and appreciated.

Regards, Geoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Plate  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with Plate
    P
    Many

?

Just my two cents, from my files,
    Credit: PM&M

Many people incorrectly refer to the M.d.A.S.d.A. mark as "R.A.D. mark" and I believe that this must be the result on a translation error. In the context of the Nazi period, "R.A.D." is the short form of ⇒Reichsarbeitsdienst. The general German term for a cogwheel is Zahnrad, often simply shortened to Rad ('wheel') when referred to in a descriptive context. Many German sources refer to the M.d.A.S.d.A. mark as "Radmarke" ('wheel mark') instead of "Zahnradmarke" ('cogwheel mark'), hence I can only assume that somebody came to the incorrect conclusion that the descriptive term "Rad" was equal to the 'R.A.D.' abbreviation. Again: the office providing the M.d.A.S.d.A. mark was a sub-division of the K.d.F. (hence controlled by Reichorganisationsleiter Robert Ley) whilst the Reichsarbeitsdienst was a sub-division of the Ministry of Labour (controlled by Reichsarbeitsführer Konstantin Hierl). Hence the M.d.A.S.d.A. mark has absolutely nothing to do with the Reichsarbeitsdienst as both belonged to completely different head organizations.

Modell des Amtes 'Schönheit der Arbeit' (dubbed M.d.A.S.d.A) is a pre-war mark used in Nazi Germany. Correctly translated in context it means model approved by the office for pleasant work; the mark was a seal of approval presented by an organization which officially was dedicated to increase ergonomics and industrial safety. The office itself was a branch of the Kraft durch Freude (K.d.F.) organization which in turn was part of the Deutschen Arbeitsfront (D.A.F.) under direct control of Reichorganisationsleiter Robert Ley.
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

These DAF-marked dishes were also used in Factory-Dining Facilities...

Thank you both for the prompt replies! This is an area I have never looked into before. There is always something just around the corner.. Another reason becoming a member is well worth the small membership fee!!

Regards, Geoff