Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

How to stop red rot on a LW mapcase?

Article about: Hello all. I recently obtained a 1938-dated, LBA-stamped Luftwaffe map case. All seemed to be perfect--until I looked at the top. Sure enough, there was red rot galore. I've heard that red r

Default How to stop red rot on a LW mapcase?

Hello all.

I recently obtained a 1938-dated, LBA-stamped Luftwaffe map case. All seemed to be perfect--until I looked at the top. Sure enough, there was red rot galore.

I've heard that red rot is incurable, but are there any products/treatments available that would at least halt its spread while preserving the map case? Thank you!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How to stop red rot on a LW mapcase?   How to stop red rot on a LW mapcase?  

How to stop red rot on a LW mapcase?   How to stop red rot on a LW mapcase?  

How to stop red rot on a LW mapcase?   How to stop red rot on a LW mapcase?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How to stop red rot on a LW mapcase?
    P
    Many

Default Re: How to stop red rot on a LW mapcase?

Hi there! You could put some leather conditioner on it, but be cafeful, I did this to some of my items and the stitching came out, I believe it helped save the leather but not the 70+ year old stitch. Sometimes you just have to live with it, but its up to you if you want to chance it, but I would use caution.

Nice Item!

Mike

Hi,

Try Almond Oil

Regards, Grant

I did not know you could use Almond Oil on leather. I know it works great on wood. Bear in mind too, anything you use will darken the leather. I would just leave it. My opinion.

Mike

kc1
    ?

Is this a fungal thing? Has anyone ever used the stuff they treat wood for rot for this? I'm not recommending it as i've never tried it. The stuff is solvent based and not to be used in a confined space but if someone has a piece of liner with this rot in it and could try an experiment re stopping the rot verus staining/colouring the leather it might be worth a go.

Guys,

You can buy Almond oil from chemists. It is used for burns and stretch marks in women, it's not solvent based but it will darken leather.

Regards, Grant.

Hi Guys, please don't put anything on old leather. In time it WILL kill it. Have a read about what the world's leading museums do, which is nothing. Once red rot occurs you cannot stop it. It is down to how the leather was cured originally. I have an SS helmet with it.....

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks for your responses. I guess that I'll have to leave it as is, unfortunately...

Yes - leave it be. Try not to handle it too much either. Make sure you keep it in a cool and dark place when not being examined. I have had bad experiences trying to "clean up" leather in my earlier days of collecting. These days I avoid the urge. However, with a few items I have had bits replaced by Frank Barone of Los Angeles. His work is museum quality and matches the original broken or missing part. That is as far as I will go and only very sparingly in most cases. NH

Hmmm... I did a Google search on Frank Barone and I couldn't really find anything much relating to militaria. Could you please provide me a link if he has a website?