Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Humble German Gas Mask and Tin..

Article about: My humble gas mask cannister and contents.. One of the very first things I bought and can't remember much about it know, I do remember running home with it as a small child, with it under my

Default Humble German Gas Mask and Tin..

My humble gas mask cannister and contents..

One of the very first things I bought and can't remember much about it know, I do remember running home with it as a small child, with it under my arm and thinking I had one of my first (?) pieces of German WW2 equipment, funnily, I don't remember the mask being inside

It's been in the shed for years and I thought it was about time to give it some TLC, it brought back great memories from my younger days.

One fine day coming home from school, my mate and fellow WW2 interested friend said to me "you won't believe this!".

"Believe what" said I.. "German militaria shop has just opened over the road" came the reply. It was around mid 1970's.

Picking myself off the floor, we ran the quickest we could and looked through the shop window.

On the wall were German helmets, daggers, grey coats, canteens and every other piece of German equipment you could think of.

We walked in and it was like all your Christmas dreams come true, pure heaven.

We tried on every helmet, were shown the bayonets, looked at every badge and belt buckle.

We never tired of going into that small shop, it was like a second home to us, and we saved all our pocket money hoping one fine day to be able to afford a piece of German equipment. I got a German helmet for my birthday and this cannister was bought with the money saved.

The shop has now long gone and has been made into flats, but I still get that tingle when I go back there, and turn the corner and look at it now.

A great part of my childhood has been demolished, but the great memories remain. Still miss it after all these years.

The strap is reproduction, as I wanted to hang it over the door.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Humble German Gas Mask and Tin..   Humble German Gas Mask and Tin..  

Humble German Gas Mask and Tin..   Humble German Gas Mask and Tin..  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Humble German Gas Mask and Tin..
    P
    Many

These are the contents and as I have said, I don't remember the mask being inside??

I've always disliked gas masks, horrible looking things, so maybe that's why I don't remember it.

It might have been repainted at some time (cannister), but I don't know.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Humble German Gas Mask and Tin..   Humble German Gas Mask and Tin..  

Nice original GM30, the canister strap is a Bundeswehr one as you noted. Remember going into similar places back in the 1970s, when helmets seemed plentiful and cheap, as many got chromed by bikers!

Great memories and glad you have been reacquainted with your boyhood adventures.

I would like a real WW2 strap for it, but can never find one..

Just glad I don't have to use that mask