Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Insight on my K98 sling

Article about: Hi everyone, I recently got a k98 and it came with an original sling. It looks to be authentic and period-correct (or at least it smells like it), but I would love to get yall's insight. The

Default Insight on my K98 sling

Hi everyone,

I recently got a k98 and it came with an original sling. It looks to be authentic and period-correct (or at least it smells like it), and I don't think its a repro, but I would love to get yall's insight. The marking seems to be 'cgn' which I could not find info on, but I am assuming it may be related to the 'cgu' slings found here: Mauser K98k Slings

Beneath the 'cgn' it seems to be the number '43' but it is so faint that I am not sure.

My belt doesn't seem to have the crosshatch pattern, which I find strange. Would this be a late-period sling? The K98 it came with is a DOT 44

Insight on my K98 sling
    Insight on my K98 sling
    Insight on my K98 sling
    Insight on my K98 sling
    Insight on my K98 sling
    Insight on my K98 sling
    Insight on my K98 sling
    Insight on my K98 sling
    Insight on my K98 sling
    Insight on my K98 sling

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Insight on my K98 sling
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Welcome to the forum. Someone should be around to provide some information. Marking on leather can be hard to read after years of handling.

Apparently there is a CGN code. See this link here. Post # 10

Opinions needed to this binocular buttoning flap

WaA47 cgn 1941
    WaA47 cgu Strolla's Söhne Wien (AT) 1940

Edit: Found it!

did a search by the Waffenampt code WaA47.

CGN is Rohrbacher Lederfabrik, Jos. Poeschl's Söhne

Here is the link

Waffenamt codes | Military Wiki | Fandom
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Looks like your typical surplus condition K98 sling. Sites like Numrich gun parts and North Ridge international offered some like these in almost the same exact condition. To me it looks like a genuine WW2 German sling. It's not uncommon to find these soooo worn to where the cross hatch pattern is no longer visible. I had a similar example where you could only see the cross hatch pattern in the sunlight.

Best Regards- Jarret

I'm no expert on these, but here's mine for a comparison.

Thank you everyone for the information, and am very happy to know more about the manufacture. After taking the sling outside and observing it under the sun, I think I can very faintly see some cross hatch pattern, but it does seem very old/worn down. I can also somewhat see tan coloring at points of the sling.