Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

jwh K98k Bayonet

Article about: Hello all, As I’m slowly becoming more and more bored I have started taking in-depth photos of my collection and trying to learn as much as I possibly can about the items so I thought I wo

Default jwh K98k Bayonet

Hello all, As I’m slowly becoming more and more bored I have started taking in-depth photos of my collection and trying to learn as much as I possibly can about the items so I thought I would share the items that I have fully researched. This is my first and only K98k bayonet.

It is maker marked to jwh - Staatliche Waffenfabrik, Chatellerault, France. They made these bayonets through 1941 through 1944. They Bayonet is in pretty good condition and is all matching with serial No. 2901. Mine was made in 1942. The frog for the Bayonet is made in 1942 the maker mark is a little too worn for me to read but I am still trying, when and if I figure it out I will update with new info here.

Cheers,
    Bodhi

jwh K98k Bayonetjwh K98k Bayonetjwh K98k Bayonetjwh K98k Bayonetjwh K98k Bayonetjwh K98k Bayonetjwh K98k Bayonetjwh K98k Bayonetjwh K98k Bayonetjwh K98k Bayonetjwh K98k Bayonet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement jwh K98k Bayonet
    P
    Many

It looks like the bayonet has been reworked but it could the the lighting. The markings on the bayo have been worn down and it looks like bluing over pitting. But again just could be the lighting.
    John

A nice S 84/98 by a less often seen maker. I tend to agree a re-bluing has occurred based on the deep blue finish such as seen on crossguard. Grip plates correct and a nice frog.

Hello thanks for the reply, where do you see pitting. There is no putting on the blade although there is lots of oil and grease. There is some minor rusting on the scabbard and handle. I hope it’s the lighting as I’ve said before I have far from good lighting.

Cheers,
    Bodhi

Here are some better photos in the natural light.

jwh K98k Bayonetjwh K98k Bayonetjwh K98k Bayonetjwh K98k Bayonetjwh K98k Bayonet

I agree with color of bluing but this was the one that really put me in the refinish thought. The marking show evidence of metal removal and not just wear.
    John

jwh K98k Bayonet

Is it possible that it was just a error with the stamps? When in hand the is no evidence of metal being removed, both sides are identical there’s not indents or loss of metal.

Edit: I would be very against doing it but if taking the bayonet apart to seen the markings on all parts would help I could do it

Hello I just realized I made a mistake on where I posted this thread. If it could be moved to the K98 Bayonet section of daggers and swords it would be greatly appreciated. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

Taking apart would not help as the thoughts are this is original with nice grips. It is that it was re-blued at some point in time. The combination of color and sanding is the take away for me. Others will also be by but Anderson is a very good authority on blades. It is a nice bayonet with a good frog.
    John

How big of an issue is re-blueing, I’ve seen it be said many times but is it something that would effect is collectability?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast