Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Late War WW2 German Wehrmacht Model Long Case Model 38 Gas Mask Canister

Article about: I recently found this Model 38 Gas Mask Canister and it has a few interesting characteristics I thought worth sharing. The latch on the canister lid is marked "frn44" and the inter

Default Late War WW2 German Wehrmacht Model Long Case Model 38 Gas Mask Canister

I recently found this Model 38 Gas Mask Canister and it has a few interesting characteristics I thought worth sharing. The latch on the canister lid is marked "frn44" and the internal compartment on the interior side of the lid is marked "ebu," appearing to indicate production by Rudolf Lang, Brandenburg an der Havel and Eckhardt & Co., Fabrikerzeugung von Auto-gen u. Atemgeraete, Chotebor. The "44" date suggest Late War construction. The internal sleeve is missing from the canister and there are clear signs of repair that can be noticed inside and out. The paint appears to be a dark green-gray color, possibly Feldgrau Dunkel, and only one layer can be detected. The white canvas carrying strap is sewn together and appears to have been with the canister a very long time, as indicated by light rust stains present and a modest amount of discoloration from age and storage.

The carrying strap is very curious to me as I have not seen any other canisters with anything similar attached, War-time or Post-War, and it does have the look of "Late War Expedience." The repairs on the canister are also intriguing as I have not encountered any other examples like it, and would also suggest a Late War re-evaluation of previously discarded, damaged equipment. What say you??

I would really appreciate any insights and critiques the forum could offer!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Late War WW2 German Wehrmacht Model Long Case Model 38 Gas Mask Canister   Late War WW2 German Wehrmacht Model Long Case Model 38 Gas Mask Canister  

Late War WW2 German Wehrmacht Model Long Case Model 38 Gas Mask Canister   Late War WW2 German Wehrmacht Model Long Case Model 38 Gas Mask Canister  

Late War WW2 German Wehrmacht Model Long Case Model 38 Gas Mask Canister   Late War WW2 German Wehrmacht Model Long Case Model 38 Gas Mask Canister  

Late War WW2 German Wehrmacht Model Long Case Model 38 Gas Mask Canister  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Late War WW2 German Wehrmacht Model Long Case Model 38 Gas Mask Canister
    P
    Many

With the pull tab missing and the level of corrosion, i would make the call that this is a post war welding repair of some shrapnel or bullet damage after it was found / excavated and then refinished rather than a factory repair. Not worth the effort for a simple item that (as it turned out ) was not needed for its intended purpose!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I definitely agree with Dan, looks like a restoration project.

Dan, I think you are spot on and thanks for chiming in on this one. Have had it for a long time and always wondered about it's origins. I acquired it from a friend who grew up in France, along with a lot of other "finds" from his childhood (1950s). The weld on the interior is large and unpainted, and battle-damage could certainly be the culprit. The bottom side of the can also is damaged and has been welded over. The paint does have significant age on it and is very close in color to a 1941 "Jerry Can" I have in my collection, one of the major characteristics that keeps hanging me up!

As the Wehrmacht was pretty nutty about maintaining each soldier's equipment, especially concerning these canisters, have you ever seen any genuine Late War refurbishments? I have read stories about German soldiers being punished if they were missing equipment or had equipment that was not matched to the serial numbers recorded in their Soldbuch. While I do agree that it's most likely a Post-War repair job, the German production system in 1945 was far from logical....just think about the fact that K98k rifles were being produced without bayonet lugs yet bayonet production carried on through the end of the War in Europe.