Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Is it legal to own an empty grenade in the UK?

Article about: Just a question; is it legal to own lets say a M24 Stielgranate in the UK, even if it is demined? I know it's illegal in some European countries, but what is the law in the UK, and is it pos

Default Is it legal to own an empty grenade in the UK?

Just a question; is it legal to own lets say a M24 Stielgranate in the UK, even if it is demined?
    I know it's illegal in some European countries, but what is the law in the UK, and is it possible to get a permit to own empty grenades?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is it legal to own an empty grenade in the UK?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Is it legal to own an empty grenade in the UK?

I'm sure it is legal in the UK if they are empty of explosives and fuses, and have a hole drilled in the body of the explosive section.

Thanks. After a good look on google I found this information;
    "The UK law on the sale of replica and inert hand grenades. These are all legal to purchase and own in the U.K."
    So I guess its ok to have a demined M24 in the UK than, even if it doesn't have a hole drilled in the body.

I always thought they needed the hole, but perhaps not. I'd check what defines 'inert' under the law to be sure.

?

They can be filled with resin, too.
    It's a bit of a grey area. Having it as part of a display helps, but ultimately its up to the bomb squad to decide on the spot if they are beyond use. They may take them anyway if they have been called, just to remove the chance of a repeat call out, and chances are you wont get them back.
    I remember seeing a TV programme from the US about munitions that have been deactivated being restored to full use, therefore some legally deactivated can be fully restored with effort, so hence the grey area.
    I would (am) very careful about who I show or tell about these things, there is always somebody who is easily scared/offended/holds a grudge against you/thinks it would be a laugh/ to give the bomb squad a call on your behalf.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

As far as i know in the UK it's legal to own a deactivated grenade, all traces of explosive must be removed and the cavity filled with a resin or concrete so it can't be reactivated.