Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M31 Canteen 'HRE 40'

Article about: Hello folks. Another eBay buy. Very pleased with this one! This is something my collection has been missing for some time. An example of the M31 'Feldflasche', the standard-issue canteen of

Default M31 Canteen 'HRE 40'

Hello folks.

Another eBay buy. Very pleased with this one!

This is something my collection has been missing for some time. An example of the M31 'Feldflasche', the standard-issue canteen of the Wehrmacht. This one is dated 1940, and bears the maker's mark 'HRE' for Heinrich Ritter, Esslingen. The canteen, cover and lid are matching. The cup is also dated to 1940, but is marked 'AW'. I have not been able to discover the manufacturer. There is a marking on the belt hook - 'GAM' - and a partially-obscured date I can't make out.

All the leatherwork is in great shape, with some minor cracking to the end tab. There is one hole in the felt cover, which appears to have been caused by friction from the edge of the cup, rather than moth damage. The rubber seal is present on the inside of the lid, which is a nice plus, though I can't imagine ever using this canteen for its intended purpose. The inside of it smells 'interesting', to say the least!

M31 Canteen 'HRE 40'M31 Canteen 'HRE 40'M31 Canteen 'HRE 40'M31 Canteen 'HRE 40'M31 Canteen 'HRE 40'M31 Canteen 'HRE 40'M31 Canteen 'HRE 40'M31 Canteen 'HRE 40'M31 Canteen 'HRE 40'

Regards, B.B.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M31 Canteen 'HRE 40'
    P
    Many

BB, the AW marked becker was made by Aluminiumwerk GmbH, Waldorf.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    BB, the AW marked becker was made by Aluminiumwerk GmbH, Waldorf.
    Many thanks! Is it common for the cup to mismatch the rest of the canteen? I'd have guessed so, considering how often they'd have been passed from man to man.

Regards, B.B.

I think if you ever found a matching set you'd be doing very well. I have never seen one. Not saying that it isn't possible but items got separated or replaced if lost damaged.

Hello,
    That's a decent early war Feldflasche but IMO the cup has been repainted
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Quote by JPhilip View Post
    Hello,
    That's a decent early war Feldflasche but IMO the cup has been repainted
    Thanks
    I had my suspicions about the cup. It looks the part, at least. If I does start to bother me in future, finding a replacement shouldn't be too difficult.

Regards, B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    If I does start to bother me in future, finding a replacement shouldn't be too difficult.
    Hello again,
    No, it should not be too difficult to find another example of early cup. As this one is not matching and repainted, it wouldn't be heartbreaking to replace it...this said, if you want another 1940 dated example, it could take some time to do so...unless you're lucky
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Quote by JPhilip View Post
    Hello again,
    No, it should not be too difficult to find another example of early cup. As this one is not matching and repainted, it wouldn't be heartbreaking to replace it...this said, if you want another 1940 dated example, it could take some time to do so...unless you're lucky
    Thanks
    I'll keep an eye out for a 'HRE 40' example to match the rest of the canteen. Until then, this one will do. It's an authentic cup, at least. Even if it has been repainted.

B.B.

I like it. Regarding the cup, I have what appears to be an overpainted cup that appears to have been a period re-issue. It is olive over black. So the repaint may be period - just an opinion. NH

Quote by Neil Hever View Post
    I like it. Regarding the cup, I have what appears to be an overpainted cup that appears to have been a period re-issue. It is olive over black. So the repaint may be period - just an opinion. NH
    The paint certainly has age to it. It could have been done in the field, or back in the 70's by a reenactor. I suppose I'll never know for sure.

Regards, B.B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast