Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

The M31 Canteen and its Variants

Article about: The M31 Canteen and its Variants Because of my growing knowledge and interest in canteens I would like to create this thread to help anyone with questions about canteens, and I would like an

Default The M31 Canteen and its Variants

Because of my growing knowledge and interest in canteens I would like to create this thread to help anyone with questions about canteens, and I would like anyone else with a great interest in canteens to be able to share their knowledge. I also like to believe this is a good way for me to give back to this community. I’m aware this is a huge subject with nearly endless different types and variations so I will share what I have and continue adding any examples I add into my collection.

Please feel free to ask questions and add any examples you own.

Happy Collecting,
    Bodhi

Basic M31 Canteen With Aluminum Cup

The M31 canteen was made with an aluminum bottle, an aluminum cap, Blackened leather straps, a felt cover and a black painted aluminum cup. As the war progressed these all saw changes in material and quality.

They were produced until 1943 in the above configuration. During that production time Bakelite caps can be seen instead of aluminum and some components changed to steel. In 1941 the cups were meant to be painted in olive green, however black cups can still be seen after this. Leather can also be seen in its unblackened state.

I will share my two best M31 canteens, first shown is an all matching and complete A.W.G 36 (Albert Wildfang, Metallpreßwerk, Gelsenkirchen 1936)
    The M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its Variants
    You can see a repair here as the aluminum rivet has been replaced by a nut and bolt.

Second Shown is a very early ESB 34 (Eduard Sommerfeld, Berlin 1934) this example is also marked DRP PDM (Deutsche ReichsPost, Potsdam). Early canteens like this example have become exceedingly hard to find, Especially in good condition and complete.
    The M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its Variants
    Last edited by BodhiEtheridge; 04-22-2022 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Correcting Facts

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The M31 Canteen and its Variants
    P
    Many

Late War Variants

As the war progressed certain materials became scarce and the quality control dropped. Many canteens late in the war are seen with either a bakelite cup, a painted/lacquered steel cup or an enameled steel cup (it should be noted that aluminum cups dated 1944 are seen, but uncommon.) They can also be seen with rivets instead of stitching, canvas material for the covers instead of felt, and lower quality leather sometimes unblackened. Caps can be made from painted steel, black bakelite (two variants) and regular aluminum.

Because there are so many different types I will focus on the example I show, and any other examples I add will focus just on that specific example.

This canteen shows a green painted steel cup marked CFL 44 (Carl Feldhaus, Aluminum und Metallwarenfabrik, Lüdenscheild 1944) the retaining straps are of a mixture of blackened leather, both flat and pebbled, with steel buckles and a steel snap hook. The leather is marked to AEM.A (Annweiler Email-u. Metal Werke, Annweiler) date is unreadable but I believe is 1944. The bottle and cap are both made of steel and finished in a gloss red. The bottle is unmarked. Lastly the cover is made from erstaz and supports three closing clips instead of four.

The M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its Variants
    Last edited by BodhiEtheridge; 06-19-2022 at 04:37 AM.

Basic Pre/Early War 1 Liter Canteen

Because there are again many varieties of the 1 liter canteen I will focus on the example I own. Hopefully I will be able to add more examples in the future.

The example shown is a complete and matching ESB 36 (Eduard Sommerfeld, Berlin 1936). Typical of a prewar example it shows a blackened leather carrying system, all aluminum components and a black painted conical aluminum cup. This example shows a hook for attaching to the belt for extra stability. These can be seen without any hook or with a snap hook for attachment to the bread bag.

The M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its Variants
    Last edited by BodhiEtheridge; 06-19-2022 at 04:38 AM.

Canteens With a Wooden/Resin Covering (Coconut Canteens)

These have a aluminum bottle like the regular M31 canteen but use a wood and resin mixture to cover the bottle instead of felt. These types of bottle were produced in 1941,42,43 and 45. A 1944 dated example has yet to be seen. They use a webbing carrying system often tan in color but can be seen in green webbing, some variants can show a mixture of tan and green carrying straps.

This example shows tan webbing straps, green painted aluminum cup (also seen with bakelite cups, steel cups, and conical aluminum cups.) Most components are dated 1942 including the snap hook, friction clip, and bottle however the cup is dated 1943. These canteens are commonly seen with mismatched dates.

The M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its Variants

Hello.
    Creating a topic on canteens is a good idea as there are many more variations and subtleties than one could imagine.
    This being said there is not a linear evolution strictly followed by all types of canteens, as the maker and the model can make a very big difference.
    Let's take the 1 liter cavalry / medic canteen for example : eventhough some of them came out of the factory with bakelite cups this peculiar type has sticked to the aluminium cup with black paint until at least 1944.
    The latest WW2 types even showed ersatz cups that were poorly finished, painted in an olive tint, but still in aluminium and showing more or less the same general shape that was inherited from the Great War.

I completely agree, this is why I will only describe and go into detail on the individual canteen shown when it comes to late war variations and 1 liter canteens. As you say I couldn’t go into great detail on all late war and 1 liter canteens as there are far too many different examples out there.

Hello,
    As promised, this thread about the canteen 31 is now "stuck"....!
    I'll try to post some of my examples when i'll have enough time to take good photos...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Here is another example of a early prewar labeflasche this example was made in 1935 by CFL (Carl Feldhaus, Aluminium und Metallwarenfabrik, Lüdenscheid). These CFL made examples often retain cup paint well and have a marking on the leather behind the belt hook as seen in the third picture.

The M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its VariantsThe M31 Canteen and its Variants
    Last edited by BodhiEtheridge; 11-12-2021 at 04:02 AM.

?

Default Smm36

A couple of Canteens from my Collection that I can contribute.
    First up, a nice condition all matching SMM36. (Does anyone know the full name of the manufacturer SMM?). Thanks, Colin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The M31 Canteen and its Variants   The M31 Canteen and its Variants  

The M31 Canteen and its Variants   The M31 Canteen and its Variants  

?

My ‘Coconut’ Canteen. Bottle dated 42. Harness dated 44.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The M31 Canteen and its Variants   The M31 Canteen and its Variants  

The M31 Canteen and its Variants   The M31 Canteen and its Variants  

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast