Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mine/Gas Flag

Article about: Hi guys, I picked this up 20 years ago at a flea market. The seller had what looked to be large amount of them in a fold over case. He was selling them for \\$5 a piece. white string had price

Default Mine/Gas Flag

Hi guys,
    I picked this up 20 years ago at a flea market. The seller had what looked to be large amount of them in a fold over case. He was selling them for $5 a piece. white string had price tag Has anyone ever seen a full set with carrying case? Also I have seen these as "gas" flags and "mine". could they have used them interchangeably since gas wasn't used in the war?
    Thanks
    General Putnam
    Mine/Gas FlagMine/Gas FlagMine/Gas Flag

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mine/Gas Flag
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

I have seen pictures of the full set. I've always understood these to be for mines.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Originally intended for marking gas contaminated ground.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Default Mine /Gas markers.

As Adrian quite rightly says, these markers were originally intended for areas contaminated by gas. Owing to the non use of gas they were often used for marking mines in mine fields. They came in a cloth or ersatz leather case which looked a little like an oversized artillery Luger holster with a pouch on the front which contained a roll of yellow marker ribbon. This ribbon is often missing from these sets as it found post war use, not least for hair ribbon.
    I can't find my pictures of a fill set but do have a roll of the ribbbon to show you. This is the rarest part of the set for sure.
    All the best from Jersey
    D
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mine/Gas Flag  

Default Mne clearance in Guernsey

After the end of the 5 years of German Occupation the Germans were then tasked to remove all traces of war and this included lifting all the mines that had been layed around the Islnds. Here we see a group of POW's under supervision clearing mines from the hedgerows close to Guernsey Airport. In use you can see a number of the gas markers being used in the minefield clearance roll.
    All the best from Jersey,
    D
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mine/Gas Flag   Mine/Gas Flag  

Some years ago, I bought this.
    The flags, the ribbon and one another flag !
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

I saw a cased full set for sale about 10 or 15 years back, I did not buy it, I did not have the money at the time for something I did not really want. I have not seen the accompanying yellow tape before this, interesting and also to see them being used to clear mines. As already said, they were for gas originally, but I have no doubt -as shown- that they were used for mines as well when needed.

There is a thread on here showing them being used with gasmasks during early or pre war training.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

CBH
    ?

Does anyone know if something like this was issued in WWI ? I have a similar but larger square flag made out of a weaved material .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mine/Gas Flag  

The square one go in the bag like mine(WWII), different, i missed one on The Collector guide.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

CBH
    ?

Thanks for the reply , I thought it might have been earlier due to the material it's made of .
    Cheers Chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast