Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My first bakelite canteen cap, I'm not quite sure if its real

Article about: Hello everyone, I got to pick up a bakelite canteen cap! As its my first time getting a bakelite item, I'm not quite sure if it's real. Despite the codes making sense and existing, I'd like

Lightbulb My first bakelite canteen cap, I'm not quite sure if its real

Hello everyone,

I got to pick up a bakelite canteen cap! As its my first time getting a bakelite item, I'm not quite sure if it's real. Despite the codes making sense and existing, I'd like to get some second (and more professional) opinions. I do not know what the 6 is supposed to mean, though
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My first bakelite canteen cap, I'm not quite sure if its real   My first bakelite canteen cap, I'm not quite sure if its real  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My first bakelite canteen cap, I'm not quite sure if its real
    P
    Many

Hello.
    So far I am not very fond of what I see, but it would be preferable to start by taking pictures of the cup outside in natural lighting.
    It would also be very helpful if you could determine precisely its exact weight.

thanks for your reply, i measured 33 gram, sadly its already too dark here to take pictures, ill post some tomorrow

Thank you for the details. 33 is indeed a very light weight for a bakelite cup. If later on you can add pictures please try to focus on the lacking parts I have highlighted here :

here friend, thanks for your efforts
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My first bakelite canteen cap, I'm not quite sure if its real   My first bakelite canteen cap, I'm not quite sure if its real  

My first bakelite canteen cap, I'm not quite sure if its real   My first bakelite canteen cap, I'm not quite sure if its real  

My first bakelite canteen cap, I'm not quite sure if its real   My first bakelite canteen cap, I'm not quite sure if its real  

Give it a LIGHT squeeze- if it flexes, it is NOT bakelite!!

To further explain, bakelite is made from Thermosetting Resin ( with fillers ) so it very hard and inflexible once cured and cannot be re-softened or melted.
    Modern material is Thermoplastic and IS flexible AND can be re-melted. Compared side by side the differences become obvious......
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

doesnt flex a milimetre

I am afraid that the cup shown here is made of plastic and had its look altered by removing small bits here and there with a sharp tool.
    I came across another 4M made cup here : Black Bakelite Canteen Cup. Real or Fake?

It is rather different from yours on several aspects.

damn, thanks

Good call Lionheart, the Matt finish and texture are the give away with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast