Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New items picked up whilst on holiday in france

Article about: Hi Tony, no worries. You can also find these post war dishes WITH the wartime style plastic code markings. Clearly one maker carried on using this post war. I did have an example of one of t

Default New items picked up whilst on holiday in france

Hi everyone, i picked these items up last week whilst in france i managed to get the four items for 35 euro which i thought was reasonable, not the best condition but still nice, can anyone help me out with the makers mark on the bakelite butterdose as to whether this maker mark is corrct for the ww2 period. Also same with the medical pouch, the ammo pouch is dated 1939 and the field dressing 1940.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New items picked up whilst on holiday in france   New items picked up whilst on holiday in france  

New items picked up whilst on holiday in france   New items picked up whilst on holiday in france  

New items picked up whilst on holiday in france   New items picked up whilst on holiday in france  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New items picked up whilst on holiday in france
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: New items picked up whilst on holiday in france

On the butter dish I think the BGS is a post war made one for the bundesheer.....how many turns of the lid do you need to open it? War time ones should only need a quarter turn here post war ones screw done 2 or 3 times making a better seal

?

What are the markings like on the back of the field dressing? Should have a number that tells you to what temperature it was heated to to sterilize it before it was sealed

?

Just to explain on the butter dish, I have a wartime one and a post war one, which is marked BGS....the wartime one has less screws on it to secure the lid, hence it should only take a quarter turn to open or close it, whereas post war has more screws, so more turns to open or close it

thanks for the info mate, it is 2-3 turns like you said so maybe it is post-war, what year did they stop producing items in bakelite? i cant fnd any numbers on the reverse of the field dressing either does this mean it could be a fake?

?

Yeh definitely post war butterfish. I think they made these well into the fifties. Not too sure the field dressing,though it is missing it's cloth wrapping. A complete one would be wrapped in a cloth wrapping tied on with string...I am sure that info was on the cloth wrapping, so you probaly have an original without the wrapping, looks ok to me. Though you can buy repros of these now that look the goods on the outside but are stuffed with cotton balls or tampons!!!!!!

Will post some pics later today, depending on wether my wife goes into labour today or not!!!!

?

Here you go mate. these are originals still wrapped as issued.

You will notice there are two sizes, both carried in the little pocked inside the field blouse. the smaller one was used to pack the entry wound and the larger the exit wound, or the smaller could pack a large wound whilst using the larger to cover it. the outside cloth was also used in sealing wounds. All soldires were instructed to use the wounded mans dressings first rather than there own.

note the temp marked, in this case 120 on the 1943 dated. i have a unwrapped one, just couldnt get my hands on it, and it is the same as yours.

will dig out the butter dishes tommorow for you, they came in a variety colours, surprisingly bright ones!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New items picked up whilst on holiday in france   New items picked up whilst on holiday in france  

?

a coiuple more

Just to add more on the fat dish: Tony is correct it is post war. One slight correction, "BGS" is for "Bundesgrenzschutz". These were for the Border Guards, not the Army.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thanks Ade,

I looked up the code just a minute ago and realized it was for border guards. Just wasn't sure wether BGS was a manufacturer and it was a coincidence, so just didn't want to pass on info I wasn't sure on

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast