Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

New to me, Marsch Kompass, Marching Compass

Article about: I picked up a marching compass in fairly good condition in working order. North is the same in Germany or the US Overall condition is good with a maker, clk. I have not seen many of these in

Default New to me, Marsch Kompass, Marching Compass

I picked up a marching compass in fairly good condition in working order. North is the same in Germany or the US Overall condition is good with a maker, clk. I have not seen many of these in my parts, my first one acquired, but seem to be a fairly common item. Many could have been put to use or still in use since we have a large number of hunters in the woods. I would be interested to better understand how compasses were issued as a ratio to men, if one even exists. One compass per 20 men, Only NCO or officers? I could not find much data. I believe the neck cord is also original.
    All thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
    John

New to me, Marsch Kompass, Marching CompassNew to me, Marsch Kompass, Marching CompassNew to me, Marsch Kompass, Marching Compass

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New to me, Marsch Kompass, Marching Compass
    P
    Many

Hello,
    I can't help you right now about the ratio you're interested in, sorry, i would need to have a look if i do have some infos in my period archives. But i can tell you who the maker clk is : Breithaupt & Sohn, from Kassel, and the meaning of the letter A on the lid. This letter indicates that time bands on the dial are in clockwise direction, as opposed to other military compasses that have counterclockwise direction. This A marked compass is first described in January 1944, so it was adopted quite late in the war.
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Thank you Jphilip. I appreciate the info on maker and A marking. How they issued them was more of a curiosity of mine and may not be relevant enough to spend a bunch time time figuring it out. I like to figure out how many they figured they would need to begin with and the rationale behind it, but not a big deal and may not even be out there.
    John