Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Opinions welcome on this splinter helmet cover

Article about: Hi Guys Great chat going on here. Who would have thought that a bit of old smelly cloth could cause such a dilema ! JPhilip your words of caution are wise, Lars in words of Winston Churchill

Default Opinions welcome on this splinter helmet cover

Hi

I know these are a tricky subject and this one may not help clarify the debate but this does have some provenance that goes back to the 1970's !

It has a drawstring system for tightening it on the helmet and is quite roughly made leading me assume it may be field made.

So what do you reckon guys does it have a chance ?

cheers

Tony

Opinions welcome on this splinter helmet coverOpinions welcome on this splinter helmet coverOpinions welcome on this splinter helmet coverOpinions welcome on this splinter helmet coverOpinions welcome on this splinter helmet coverOpinions welcome on this splinter helmet cover

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions welcome on this splinter helmet cover
    P
    Many

Default Re: Opinions welcome on this splinter helmet cover

I have come to the conclusion this is a leap of faith ! If the price is right it's wortha punt IMO !

cheers

tony

most of these were field made so who knows???
    Pay as much as doesn't disappoint you if it is proven not to be genuine.

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Hello Tony mate

IMO it comes down to the fabric, so additional good close ups of fabric and seams will be needed. I can't say anything else than it looks field made but with a sewing machine.

Regards, Lars

Hi Lars

I'm on it....close ups later in the week hopefully.

Cheers

Tony

Hello Tony,
    You'll wonder all your collecting life if it's original or not...
    You should save your money for a regulation one or make your own "field made" cover, at least you'll be sure it's bad...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Nice original cover in my opinion, I would definitely pick it up

Quote by Sir Payne View Post
    Nice original cover in my opinion

Hello Sir Payne,
    Please elaborate a little bit...what makes you sure that this cover is original ?
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

It's very difficult to tell with these items. The fabric could be good, but it could have been made by a reenactor post war. It could also be a good cover. From the pics provided so far i would walk lightly here so to speak.

Regards, Lars

Quote by JPhilip View Post
    Hello Sir Payne,
    Please elaborate a little bit...what makes you sure that this cover is original ?
    Thanks
    No problem JPhilip, I do not want to make it sound like I know for "sure" this is original because I do not. I simply am of the opinion that it has a greater chance of being original than it has of being a fake/repro based on the evidence that I see and do not see.

Since it is too difficult to describe why I think this cover is original, I'll instead describe why I think it is not fake. None of these reasons should be taken on their own, but all together. First, Tony specifically stated that this piece has provenance that goes back to the 1970's, so, let's start there. Back in the 1970's, correct me if I am wrong, these covers were not all that rare or expensive. You have to ask yourself, why would somebody make a reproduction or fake of this quality when original covers were not too difficult to find and were not that expensive anyway? A cover like this one takes some measure of time and skill to make, but the profit from such an endeavor would have been minimal at best. I don't know if any of you have ever attempted to adequately describe "wear", but it is extremely difficult if not impossible. All I can say is that the wear on this cover reflects the wear I have seen on other period covers. The staining, dirt, tears, all of it looks good to me. Just an opinion based on what I have seen and the example I have owned in the past. On the other side of the coin, I don't see any red flags suggesting this cover has been messed with or artificially aged, etc. So far nobody else has pointed out any red flags either. The evidence for original outweighs the evidence for fake. Thanks Aristotle

If I bought this cover the first thing I would do is smell it, next I would post it on here to see what others thought, if I still had no concrete conclusion, I would mail the cover to someone more knowledgeable for a hands on inspection. If it turned out to be good, I would then mount it on my nicest ND M40.

Corey

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast