Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Period matches

Article about: I was able to add these period matches to my collection. They were advertised as Pioneer matches and holders, but I have found no evidence to support this claim. They were posted with this a

Default Period matches

I was able to add these period matches to my collection.
    They were advertised as Pioneer matches and holders, but I have found no evidence to support this claim.
    They were posted with this article as proof of their originality.
    Ralph.

Period matches
    Period matches
    Period matches

A rough translation,

Pursuiters, like fireworks, were indispensable in the field. Here is a typical matchstick made of plywood and cardboard of a famous manufacturer of that time, as well as a bakelite dozer, in which so-called Sturmholzer were kept, which were insensitive to wind and damp
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Period matches
    P
    Many

Hello,
    To the best of my knowledge, these red bakelite containers are postwar...
    There were literally hundreds of them for sale ten years ago
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

CBH
    ?

The matches are today referred to as Life Boat Matches, you can still buy them for survival kits etc.
    Apparently they can't be blown out by the wind.

Quote by CBH View Post
    The matches are today referred to as Life Boat Matches, you can still buy them for survival kits etc.
    Apparently they can't be blown out by the wind.
    Known to the British Forces as "Matches Fusee" (Fusee is not a specifically military term and has been around as long as safety matches themselves) a very similar modern type is included in ration packs and, as Chris indicates, can be found in many proprietary survival kits as "windproof matches"). The tip is similar to typical safety matches and lights quickly under friction burning furiously to ignite the long slower burning remainder of the match head which is the bit that is very wind resistant.

I guess the reference to "Pioneer" is in the military context? I've never seen these as militaria before, interesting.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 11-16-2018 at 04:32 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

CBH
    ?

There was a warning on my packet of these, "Do Not Light Indoors".

Quote by CBH View Post
    There was a warning on my packet of these, "Do Not Light Indoors".
    Which of course is exactly what you would do if there was no warning right?

A bit like the warning on a McDonalds coffe cup "Caution hot contents" (I'd be a bit fed up if it were otherwise!!!) still, I suppose they have to work to the lowest common denominator amongst their clientele (aka Wallmartians) we have them over here too

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Pursuiters, like fireworks, were indispensable in the field. Here is a typical matchstick made of plywood and cardboard of a famous manufacturer of that time, as well as a bakelite dozer, in which so-called Sturmholzer were kept, which were insensitive to wind and damp
    Actually, "Feuerzeuge" are lighters ["fireworks" would be a "Feuerwerk"], and a "Döschen" [diminutive form of "Dose"] is a little box or tin, not a "dozer".

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Known to the British Forces as "Matches Fusee" (Fusee is not a specifically military term and has been around as long as safety matches themselves) a very similar modern type is included in ration packs and, as Chris indicates, can be found in many proprietary survival kits as "windproof matches").
    Come to think of it, the term as such - with a different meaning, obviously - has been around well before those safety matches: "Our leaders march with fusees..."

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Actually, "Feuerzeuge" are lighters ["fireworks" would be a "Feuerwerk"], and a "Döschen" [diminutive form of "Dose"] is a little box or tin, not a "dozer".
    Thank you Andreas.
    As I said, a rough translation.
    Since I don't have the capability to add an umlaut on my keyboard, I suspected it would not be accurate.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Come to think of it, the term as such - with a different meaning, obviously - has been around well before those safety matches: "Our leaders march with fusees..."
    Absolutely right Andreas,

I think that historically a fusee or fuzee has been a kind of warning flare and with that in mind do I recall correctly the German word Fackel(?) so matches fusee (or fusee matches) = matches for lighting flares

Every day is a school day here!!

Regards

Mark
    PS Slightly off topic but meant to expand knowledge, fun too!

?

The Fusee was (and, indeed, still is), a type of conical spring, used in clocks since the 15th century and later to maintain high levels of accuracy in pocket watches when on the march.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast