Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Rare German ammo box?

Article about: Idk what I have here but it seems to be one of a kind. A history professor said it was legit and he use to use to borrow it and use it for his classes from the owner. That's all I know. It h

Quote by Daarom View Post
    Attachment 1689399 Did you buy it that way or did you clean the text?
    I have been scratching my head over this one for a while and I came to the conclusion that the stamping son the box are a later addition. Firstly the surface appears to be rubbed away where the stamps were made, as though the stamp was applied and the surface has been rubbed away to fill in the indentations made by the stamps with rust. Secondly the prominent position of the stamping on the lid is not necessary and the stamp font itself appears modern.

Overall it appears to be a container made for spares for an engineering piece of machinery that has been "militarised" by the addition of these markings.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rare German ammo box?
    P
    Many

Daarom....we appreciate your efforts in helping Identify this metal tool can with information you found on ebay....could you please post photos and not links...you have been here long enough to know that links die after an item is sold...if you can not download them...screen shot is a very usable option.
    Please do this for the thread and the readers.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

These are my concerns as well Rossi. But also eickhorn has been around since mid to late 1800's right? (From what I remember). So could this be an early eickhorn creation before ww2, or maybe even before ww1?? I do agree it looks very vintage. And it does look rough on the welds but it actually looks amazing if we think about it as pre ww1 welds, imo.

?

I bought it that way and the guy said don't do anything to peserve it, just keep it the way it is.

?

That is a valid point black cat. But there is also a possibility that it was rubbed away to make the markings eligible. The whole stamp is pretty recessed/concaved, and the bottom of the 4 and 3 are completely rusted and worn down to nothing. I will post more pics of it. But yes the font does look modern but I will do more digging to find out for sure. You, as well as all the others have very good points and I thank you guys for the help.

?

The only reason I would say that it was rubbed away to make it more eligible is because it looks like whoever cleaned it thought the markings were on the inside and started cleaning it there first (Maybe..), then realized the letters were not eligible and were on the outside of the box. It's hard to tell in pictures but the whole thing is indented, concave, recessed pretty good. Also on the inside, I don't think some of those indented reversed letters would be rusted the way that they are if it was stamped before it started to rust. It looks like the stamps on the inside rusted accordingly to the time the whole thing started to deteriorate. This is just my opinion though.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rare German ammo box?   Rare German ammo box?  

?

I think the font checks out, imo. I've seen similar and all types of different font for the time period.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rare German ammo box?   Rare German ammo box?  

?

Larry, thank you for your message. You're right, I'm making a mistake here. I'm going to fix it. It was late at night and I was tired. Wkr Pat/DaaromRare German ammo box?Rare German ammo box?Rare German ammo box?Rare German ammo box?

Quote by joeyd View Post
    These are my concerns as well Rossi. But also eickhorn has been around since mid to late 1800's right? (From what I remember). So could this be an early eickhorn creation before ww2, or maybe even before ww1?? I do agree it looks very vintage. And it does look rough on the welds but it actually looks amazing if we think about it as pre ww1 welds, imo.
    Joey I know you want so bad that this metal can to be an Eickhorn product as much as I want my parents never to have passed away and to live forever....again in regards to this metal can ..we can not make something what it is not without research and until proven otherwise.

Yes Eickhorns family has been around for the last 5 centuries and the firm was founded in 1865.
    There is no mention of any outside work performed by Eickhorn from 1865 into the Third Reich Period concerning anything else outside of Cutlery and Edged Weapons....yet for this COF marking and I will Quote Solingen Edged Weapon Researcher Anthony Carter pg 172...

" Production of the S. 84/98 began in earnest in the mid 1930s to equip the rapidly expanding armed forces ( Wehrmacht ). The earliest Eickhorn Bayonets date from 1934-37 and bear the code S/175.
    More were made in 1937-40 with the companys full name on the blade and scabbard and those made in 1940-45 were usually stamped with the "cof" letter code ( small case ) and the date.
    The letter code also appeared on the S.42 ( End Quote )

The Germans marked everything with letters and numbers and each " TYPE " of something produced always had their own letter or number codes...in this instance in Combat bayonets..they used lettering and numbers ( See this pinned thread in the Bayonet forum >

S 84/98 Manufacturer Codes (98k bayonet) Quick Reference WWII era

Many collectors and researchers here can attest to the fact that each item and artifact has their own category of organization and numbers.
    Studying alot deeper there is n mention of Eickhorn making metal utility cans and using a Bayonet code on top of the lid.

This has been a great thread and Im quite encouraged that this was just not another run of the mill real or fake thread that dies after 5 posts. There is too many of those threads here without substance and content...so yes..this thread is what forums are made for to discuss and the discussion will continue of course as more evidence and research comes to light with this utility can and the markings.

Happy Thanks Giving Gents

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Doesn't appear to be an ammunition box to me. In fact I can't see anything about this steel box that would suggest it's military. It appears to me to be a tool box of some sort, as might be used by a mechanic or plumber. It actually seems quite crudely made, such as a engineering student might built for a school project.
    The DRGM COF 42 mark is a probably a joke. This is not a piece of work the great manufacturer Carl Eickhorn would have made.
    The DRGM mark firstly signals a registered design. what unique features of this ordinary steel box is registered and protected by DRGM? Secondly I have never heard of Carl Eickhorn making such a box. But it could be possible an employee of the great company made a box for his tools and marked it as a bit of a joke....he's probably laughing now!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast