Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Spaten - BEF model 39 entrenching tool

Article about: Hi folks, I have an entrenching tool that was sold to me as German. I did not think it was German but it was cheap so I purchased it. It appears to be a BEF Model 39. The photo is a similar

Default Spaten - BEF model 39 entrenching tool

Hi folks, I have an entrenching tool that was sold to me as German. I did not think it was German but it was cheap so I purchased it. It appears to be a BEF Model 39. The photo is a similar shovel - not mine - but it matches. Mine is dated 39 and has some lettering on it that I cannot read. I will post photos. Two questions - is the shovel depicted a BEF model 39? And was it used by German forces after Dunkirk? Thanks for any feedback in response and I promise photos of my example tomorrow. Neil

Spaten - BEF model 39 entrenching tool

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Spaten - BEF model 39 entrenching tool
    P
    Many

Yes, it sounds like a british pattern 39 e-tool.
    Germany built their type 1898 shovel only till 1934.
    Photos would be helpful.

Thanks for the response. Here are the additional photos. The stamp on the handle appears to be R P 39. There are no other discernible marking of any kind that I can detect. NH

Spaten - BEF model 39 entrenching toolSpaten - BEF model 39 entrenching toolSpaten - BEF model 39 entrenching toolSpaten - BEF model 39 entrenching tool

Now with the pictures the case looks different...
    I thought the metal is stamped with 39 and british manufacturer, but this marking means "RP 32" and is dutch from postwar times.
    As far as I know this "RP 32" stamp belongs to dutch rescue services.
    They used foreign wartime shovels and also build them on their own in postwar times. All of them received the said "RP 32" marking.
    I belive original british pattern 39 e-tools are always marked accordingly, but I'n not sure about that.
    Edit: Please have a closer look to the metal shaft. Maybe you can find a british marking too.

Maybe @MP44tom as a Dutch knows it exactly.

Thanks for the feedback. It does look like 39 and not 32. I hope Tom does chime in. NH

Hi guys !

Indeed , these were defined as post war used by the dutch.... the RP32 marking is still unclear what it stands for....

As you can see on the picture it is clear that it is a 2 and not a 9

If the shovel itself is pre war produced is not clear.... what is clear is that it is not a pre war military dutch spade used by the dutch army.... these are different

Sorry that i can‘t be more specific..... maybe JP knows more in the mean time....

Tom

?

The example in the OP is certainly not a British shovel (too wide and ‘squat’ in appearance). The ‘39 has a quite slender appearance.
    With the other images, they need to be taken square on (to avoid foreshortening/distortion of the item), and a full length image will help.

Cheers,
    Bob

Thank you gentlemen. Here are two full size photos that should be expandable. NH

Spaten - BEF model 39 entrenching toolSpaten - BEF model 39 entrenching tool

Friends, Here is some new evidence. After carefully looking over the blade top to bottom, I discovered what appears to be a British broad arrow acceptance stamp on the top "cutting edge" area. I have not dug out the stamp from the paint but it does not appear to be simply a dent or scratch. I must conclude the P marking and numbering is P 39 rather than 32 to denote the year of design as this type of tool did not exist in the British Army prior to 1939/40. (Edit; the marking is RP32 as indicated by Tom and Austrian - thanks gents). This is often referred to as the BEF entrenching tool issued starting in 1940. I still don't know what the R stands for so maybe this new clue will help. I have missed the broad arrow for years but now that I wear cheaters (reading eyeglasses) it suddenly became apparent! Let me know what you think. NH

Spaten - BEF model 39 entrenching toolSpaten - BEF model 39 entrenching tool
    Last edited by Neil Hever; 10-17-2020 at 01:10 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast