Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Stop the rot!(rust)

Article about: I have a relic gurttrommeltrager that is literally falling apart as i type. What suggestions do people have to prevent/delay it getting any worse? I've seen other articles 'preserved' and th

Default Stop the rot!(rust)

I have a relic gurttrommeltrager that is literally falling apart as i type. What suggestions do people have to prevent/delay it getting any worse?
    I've seen other articles 'preserved' and they look 'wet', black/darkened due to whatever has been used and it looks awful. Is there anything outthere that would stop the rust, yet still ensure it looks good?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stop the rot!(rust)  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stop the rot!(rust)
    P
    Many

The oxidisation is possibly what is holding this relic together. Electrolysis or rust treatment will remove the rust but what it left behind will be so fragile it will eventually fall the pieces. If it stays in a moisture free environment it may remain like this a bit longer but there comes a point when steel is just decayed and it's gone. Your relic is going that way.

I do indeed keep it in a dry and moisture-free environment. I've had it for a few years and only through a sense of preservation is that I ask for help now. That said, I don't disagree with you that the item is seriously...rusty..cheers!

For the preservation of any relic, I will happily recommend the 'tea treatment'. Tea contains tannic acid, which neutralises rust without dissolving it. Simply find a container large enough to fully immerse the relic, fill it with warm water and dump in a whole packet of teabags. Once it's brewed for about 10 minutes, immerse the relic and leave it to sit for a few hours. Afterwards, remove the relic and place it in a sealed container with a few silica gel packets for another few hours to remove excess moisture. If it's summertime, drying the relic in the sun works just as well.

I've used this method on multiple relic helmets, including some very 'flaky' ones found in lakes, and the result has always been good. It results in a darker overall appearance as the tea stains the object, but it neutralises the rust and should prevent the relic from decaying any further. I much prefer this method to the likes of oxalic acid, as it causes no excess damage and is much safer in terms of handling and disposal.

Regards, B.B.

I’ve learned something new today, thanks B.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Huge thanks for this tip BrodieBartfast!

I tried this out on some old tools & a good soaking for a little over 24hrs gave great results; uncovering markings that were extremely difficult to read before, & turned out to include War Department "Broad Arrow" etc.

I wasn't expecting that so, unfortunately, didn't take detailed 'before' photos but you can still get an idea of the results from my picture over in this thread

Quote by brickie501 View Post
    Huge thanks for this tip BrodieBartfast!

I tried this out on some old tools & a good soaking for a little over 24hrs gave great results; uncovering markings that were extremely difficult to read before, & turned out to include War Department "Broad Arrow" etc.

I wasn't expecting that so, unfortunately, didn't take detailed 'before' photos but you can still get an idea of the results from my picture over in this thread
    I’m glad to see more good results from this method! It’s apparently done commonly by gardeners to treat their tools, so it doesn’t surprise me that it worked so well on those box spanners.

B.B.