Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Thoughts on this camo gas mask canister?

Article about: Hello I recently acquired this gas mask canister and I wanted to hear your thoughts on the authenticity of the camouflage since I'm new to camouflaged German equipment. Personally I think th

Default Thoughts on this camo gas mask canister?

Hello
    I recently acquired this gas mask canister and I wanted to hear your thoughts on the authenticity of the camouflage since I'm new to camouflaged German equipment. Personally I think that it's postwar since it looks too new but I'd love to hear other opinions.

Thoughts on this camo gas mask canister? Thoughts on this camo gas mask canister?
    Thoughts on this camo gas mask canister? Thoughts on this camo gas mask canister?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thoughts on this camo gas mask canister?
    P
    Many

Hello,
    You need to add closer photos to the thread if you want anyone to help you out.
    To me looking too new is not necessarily a red flag, some examples have been stored in good condition since the war.
    All german camouflaged items are a minefield....
    Thanks
    Last edited by JPhilip; 01-29-2023 at 07:31 PM. Reason: typo

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

I agree the paintwork does look fresh, but it isn't easy to say for sure whether the paint is recent or not - unless you can smell it? I would question whether there is any wear to the points of the mash where the carrying straps were secured?

Thanks for your posts. There does seem to be some wear to the attachment points for the carrying straps but it also looks like the camouflage paint was applied over spots with pitting which isn't a good sign. Anyway, here are some closer photos, any additional info is appreciated.

Hello,
    It's always tough to comment camouflaged items without actually holding them in hands.
    In my opinion, you're right to think that the camo job is postwar done.
    Not a canister i would consider if offered to me.
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :

Yes, its also for me a postwar work.
    A rough rusty surface was painted over here.

Quote by Austrian View Post
    A rough rusty surface was painted over here.
    Hello,
    Yes these rusty spots can be seen all around the canister when photos are double clicked. They appear repainted in red, green or yellow. Also IMO the canister has been fixed a bit before the camo paint was applied. Two or three weird areas can be seen through the postwar paint.

VC : I hope you did not buy this canister as an original at prices asked nowadays for three tones camouflaged examples...!
    It would be an expensive lesson of militaria to learn and deal with. When it's possible, it's better to post photos on the forum before the purchase...
    Thanks

In Memoriam :

Hi Philip, fortunately I bought this canister expecting the camo to most likely not be original and for a pretty decent price (around the same as a standard Heer canister). At least it came with this GM30 and nicely marked filter...

Last edited by VC54002; 02-06-2023 at 04:39 PM.

Hello,
    Good to know about the canister....last original three tone camo i've seen for sale around me was at 1200 euro...
    Very nice GM30 in the largest size with an also nice byd FE37 filter. Hope you can find a nice factory painted canister for this Gasmask
    Thanks

In Memoriam :