Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Waterbottle with a story

Article about: Back in 2004 I bought a 'coconut' wood laminate water bottle from a friend in Normandy. He had picked it up at a vide grenier just before he sold it to me(15euros). It wasn't perfect, but it

Default Waterbottle with a story

Back in 2004 I bought a 'coconut' wood laminate water bottle from a friend in Normandy. He had picked it up at a vide grenier just before he sold it to me(15euros).
    It wasn't perfect, but it suited my needs. It was a while after I acquired it, that I realised there was something loose inside the bottle. Upon investigating a rolled up piece of paper came out. There was something written on it in French. I quizzed my friend about it and he swears blind that he didn't put it in there and must have been in there when he bought it.

The note is written in bad French, and gives details of it's previous owner, and how as part of an SS Training Battalion found himself in the Falaise Gap. Fearing he would loose his mind, he drank the contents of his bottle which was cider. There was death and destruction all around him but he survived. He says that after the war, he left the bottle outside during a hard frost. The water in the bottle froze and consequently split the laminate covering. The covering is split clearly at the rear of the bottle.

Sadly, I cannot make out the owners name, but I think this bottle must have held some sentimental significance for him to have saved it, kept it with him after the war. I know we always say to ourselves "buy the item, not the story", however in this case the story most definitely came with the item.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Waterbottle with a story   Waterbottle with a story  

Waterbottle with a story   Waterbottle with a story  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Waterbottle with a story
    P
    Many

Dam, that is truly a facinating piece! Love it, definitly a one of a kind Waterbottle!

WOW What a find!

You know how some collectors wish their pieces could talk? Well this one actually does!

Best Regards- Jarret

Thank you, I'm glad you guys like it.

Scherwiller is in Alsace, smal town. one "malgrés-nous"?
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Hello, so the waterbottle was in Alsace in 1956 when it exploded, and you found it in Normandy after...
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

A friend of mine was living near UTAH beach and picked it up at a local vide grenier. How it got there is beyond me I'm afraid.