Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Wehrmacht Dress Shoes? Something else??

Article about: Good evening gents, I've got some interesting footwear here for you. I've been looking for a pair of dress shoes to complement an Infanterie Waffenrock and piped trousers. I found these, whi

Default Wehrmacht Dress Shoes? Something else??

Good evening gents, I've got some interesting footwear here for you.

I've been looking for a pair of dress shoes to complement an Infanterie Waffenrock and piped trousers. I found these, which were labeled as "Wehrmacht Dress Shoes", by the seller for relatively cheap. I'm not convinced that's what they are, but they are unusual. The only thing I can tell you is that they have hobnails and heel irons like marching footwear, and that they were purchased in Germany. They have what looks to have been a nice quality pinstriped fabric inside of them, and pull-tabs on the inside. They also have laces and an eyelet configuration similar to Wehrmacht schnürschuhe. Other than that, I have no idea. They look period correct, but could also just be a pair of nice, handmade civilian shoes. What do you think? Private purchase by a military man perhaps? Even seen anything like them?

A million thanks for any answers you might have about these.

Looking to build a mannequin set-up similar to this, a "ausgangsanzug" (walking out) dress:
    Last edited by DerFunker; 12-02-2022 at 01:46 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wehrmacht Dress Shoes? Something else??
    P
    Many

These aren't dress shoes, they appear to be late-war M37 Type Schnürstiefel worn with Gaitors (Gamaschen)...For Field Service...

Quote by GlennAgain View Post
    These aren't dress shoes, they appear to be late-war M37 Type Schnürstiefel worn with Gaitors (Gamaschen)...For Field Service...
    Thanks for having a look and taking the time to comment, Glenn. I thought these looked awfully like field footwear rather than dress shoes, but since the were sold as dress shoes (and were cheap enough) I thought "why not?". The eyelet configuration and hobnails, heel irons and what looks like a space for former toe irons certainly remind me of some of the schnürschuhe I own:

BUT... the overall leather construction is different, and they've got that sort of decorative toe bit... If these are late-war M37 type ankle boots, I wonder if they were some sort of "last-ditch" construction, using whatever materials were available? They're unusual for sure, and I can't seem to find anything quite like them.

This does mean that I'm still on the search for some period-correct dress shoes to complement an NCO M35 Waffenrock, though. One day, maybe.

Thanks again for the comment - much appreciated.

-DF
    Last edited by DerFunker; 12-02-2022 at 02:43 AM.

They appear to have been repaired more than once, which is understandable due to postwar shortages...But if I find WH Dress Shoes while browsing, I'll be sure to let you know...

Quote by GlennAgain View Post
    They appear to have been repaired more than once, which is understandable due to postwar shortages...But if I find WH Dress Shoes while browsing, I'll be sure to let you know...
    Thanks, Glenn, that's a mighty kind gesture.

Good thinking about post-war modifications. These were possibly field-wear ankle boots that were repurposed and repaired after the war.

TWS
    ?

These are already sold , but might be a good point of reference for you (?)

Virtual Grenadier
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Quote by TWS View Post
    These are already sold , but might be a good point of reference for you (?)

Virtual Grenadier
    Nice, Todd! Thanks for lookin' out for me. It's been really hard to find a clear picture of these. I've mostly been referencing pictures of them in use in old photos, but this makes things much clearer.

Thanks again!!

Your two men in the photo are wearing Zugstiefel, the most typical dress shoes with elastic sides.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wehrmacht Dress Shoes? Something else??  

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    Your two men in the photo are wearing Zugstiefel, the most typical dress shoes with elastic sides.
    Excellent infomation, Nick. Thanks for taking the time to comment. This will help me to have a name to associate with this style of shoe. I've come across a few very similarly styled shoes in the past, but I didn't a way to confirm that they were TR era. Finding a good pair may prove tricky. Thanks again, this info is much appreciated.