Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

1913 Y-straps.. any ideas?

Article about: Good day all, I picked up (was virtually given) these Y-straps, some 25-30 years ago, and have always wondered exactly what they are.. According to all references I have seen, and several co

?

Default 1913 Y-straps.. any ideas?

Good day all,
    I picked up (was virtually given) these Y-straps, some 25-30 years ago, and have always wondered exactly what they are..
    According to all references I have seen, and several collectors I have mentioned them to over the years, such an item did not exist in the Imperial German Army of this period. I can only assume they were either an unadopted trial item, perhaps intended for duties or personnel not requiring a tornister, or manufactured in Germany for a foreign army.

They bear the manufacturer’s stamp and date of, ‘Wilhem Knoll, Stuttgart, 1913’ (on the back strap and repeated on the reverse of one of the front straps, just visible in image #4). I am reasonably certain of the date, though of course, it could be 1918.
    They do not appear to have been issued.

I welcome any comments and information you can furnish.
    With my thanks in advance, and very best wishes,
    Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1913 Y-straps.. any ideas?   1913 Y-straps.. any ideas?  

1913 Y-straps.. any ideas?   1913 Y-straps.. any ideas?  

1913 Y-straps.. any ideas?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1913 Y-straps.. any ideas?
    P
    Many

?

Cavalry units wore these in brown with the new field grey uniforms. That is a very nice set, I have one that have issue stamps as to Army Corps1913 Y-straps.. any ideas?

Bob, nice set of hard to find kit ! Cavalry Y straps as identified above. cheers Tony

?

Thank you very much for the information, Gentlemen..
    It’s marvellous to finally know what these things are!
    I would very much like to see your example, aicusv..

I think I’m going to have to put a set of Cavalry equipment together now (blast!), though the prospect of attempting to assemble an Uhlan mannequin is a terrifying one..

Many thanks again, and stay well,
    Bob

Bob, all you need is patience and deep pockets ! Regimentals have some of your y straps for sale btw...check out the price...……...cheers Tony

?

Good luck with your project. I know finding a Field Grey uniform isn't easy.

?

Thanks chaps, but in all honesty, it’s out of my range (and not really my interest) to collect German Cavalry equipment.. Plus, like all of us, I have plenty of other projects I am trying to complete. Great War French, German Army, Imperial Russian and the Red Army are keeping me occupied enough!

A pity really, with a lovely start like this..
    I’m just glad to know what they are at long last. Over the years, I’ve been told many times that they must be fakes and that there was no such thing, but I always knew they were real.. just didn’t know what!
    You fixed that.

My thanks again and very best wishes,
    Bob

?

I've had the same issue, people not believing that the Germans used these during WWI. Yours is a cavalry set, but Y straps were also issued later in the war to some infantry troops.