Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Essgeschirr 1910/15 Ersatz

Article about: Good day all, I finally received my long sought after Ersatz mess kit this morning. This example made in 1915 by SE & St. (Sachsische Emailler und Stanzwerke - Saxon Enamelling & Sta

?

Default Essgeschirr 1910/15 Ersatz

Good day all,
    I finally received my long sought after Ersatz mess kit this morning.
    This example made in 1915 by SE & St. (Sachsische Emailler und Stanzwerke - Saxon Enamelling & Stamping Works, Lauter) - with many thanks to Dan for the identification!

Of note is the flat handle bracket; the top point of which was folded outward, from 1917, to prevent the equipment strap from slipping free, particularly when carried in the improvised assault pack assembly (although it is often claimed to have been thus modified to stabilise the handle, this is erroneous, as it makes no contact with the latter when opened, and already seems perfectly stable).

Rather than the original and costly aluminium, this ersatz model is produced in field-grey enamelled steel and tin, and is notably heavier; the lid alone weighing more than the whole of the 1910 set, due to its substantial steel handle.
    My 1912/14-dated example is shown here for visual comparison.

Also in the package was the folding ‘Göffel’ spoon & fork, typically un-marked, which clips neatly inside the top of the body, albeit with a tendency to come loose when shaken (certainly from the 1910, though remains quite fast in the 1915).
    Still, a neat idea which seems to have been unique to these mess tins and died out with them.
    On close inspection, this example appears to be of green enamelled steel, though this treatment has largely worn off.

Just need to get a nice 1917 version now!
    All the best for a great collecting new year!
    Rob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Essgeschirr 1910/15 Ersatz   Essgeschirr 1910/15 Ersatz  

Essgeschirr 1910/15 Ersatz   Essgeschirr 1910/15 Ersatz  

Last edited by Kohima; 12-29-2023 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Typos & additions

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Essgeschirr 1910/15 Ersatz
    P
    Many

Quote by Kohima View Post
    Good day all,
    I finally received my long sought after Ersatz mess kit this morning.
    This example made in 1915 by SE & St. (Sachsische Emailler und Stanzwerke - Saxon Enamelling & Stamping Works, Lauter) - with many thanks to Dan for the identification!

Of note is the flat handle bracket; the top point of which was folded outward, from 1917, to prevent the equipment strap from slipping free, particularly when carried in the improvised assault pack assembly (although it is often claimed to have been thus modified to stabilise the handle, this is erroneous, as it makes no contact with the latter when opened, and already seems perfectly stable).

Rather than the original and costly aluminium, this ersatz model is produced in field-grey enamelled steel and tin, and is notably heavier; the lid alone weighing more than the whole of the 1910 set, due to its substantial steel handle.
    My 1912/14-dated example is shown here for visual comparison.

Also in the package was the folding ‘Göffel’ spoon & fork, typically un-marked, which clips neatly inside the top of the body, albeit with a tendency to come loose when shaken (certainly from the 1910, though remains quite fast in the 1915).
    Still, a neat idea which seems to have been unique to these mess tins and died out with them.
    On close inspection, this example appears to be of green enamelled steel, though this treatment has largely worn off.

Just need to get a nice 1917 version now!
    All the best for a great collecting new year!
    Rob
    Happy NY! Apologies for the slow reply - I don’t know how I missed this post! Perhaps when the site was down..,

That’s some very nice kit you have there. The enamel almost looks like a dark flat feldgrau without the typical shine that most enamels have, so very interesting. And to have the fork/spoon combo is a big bonus. Congratulations!

One of the things I find fascinating about collecting Imperial item are the changes and economy measure that were carried out in quick succession as the war played out.

Andy

?

Thanks for your comments, Andy.
    It is fairly dark and of quite a satiny finish, as you say.
    I fully agree with your thoughts regarding the 1915 ‘panic’ era, when virtually every country was struggling to equip a massively and rapidly expanding army (the most interesting period, from a uniformology point of view, methinks). Most nations began to settle down by the following year, even improving the design and quality of their equipment, but heavily blockaded Germany continued to struggle until her complete exhaustion in 1918, and ‘Ersatz’ remained an ever-present spectre.

By the way, I’ve since managed to find another, apparently earlier, Göffel with tinned finish, which fits very snuggly and looks the part in my 1910 pot. Snapped this one up for €60, so I was chuffed with that!
    I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a dated example of the Göffel, or even maker marked for that matter. Have you?

All the best,
    Rob

Hi Rob,

Would love to see the new Göffel, and from what I’ve read enamelling came in around 1916, so this fits in with your earlier version having a tinned finish. I must admit mess tins are still an area that I’ve not done a lot of research in but there does appear to be quite some variety amongst them making them quite collectable in their own right. From what I’ve seen it does appear that some of these are not stamped with a manufacturers stamp which may be down to them having parts sourced from different manufacturers or perhaps even yet another austerity measure. I have a couple of mess tins with one being a felgrau enamelled example made by Silesia in 1917, and last year I picked up a black enamelled example, no date, with the manufacturer a bit illegible. I’m not aware of the reason for mess tins being black enamelled but would be interested to know.

Andy

?

Sorry for the delay, Andy, but here is a Göffel top-up and comparison of the fittings on the tins themselves.
    There is a separate and nicely made little shelf riveted to the inside of the M.1910, while the Ersatz model has to make do with little more than a pressed ‘ridge’, to perform the task - a simple and clearly hugely time-saving expedient.
    The tinplate vs. dark green enamel finish to the Göffel themselves also shows quite well here (the ersatz model actually retains more of its finish than I originally thought).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Essgeschirr 1910/15 Ersatz   Essgeschirr 1910/15 Ersatz  

Last edited by Kohima; 01-25-2024 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks for posting these photos Rob, and my apologies for the slow response. The side by side images makes for a great study of the differences between the two types. You can clearly see production timelines shrinking little by little as the overall quality did as well. I guess at the end of the day little thought was given to the satisfaction of the soldiers who used them.

Andy