Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

GM-15 Rubberised cloth gas mask and carrying can.

Article about: An item that I recently added to my Imperial German collection is this GM-15 gas mask known as the Bandmaske.This is the 2nd type of gas mask worn by Imperial German soldier during WW1, with

Default GM-15 Rubberised cloth gas mask and carrying can.

An item that I recently added to my Imperial German collection is this GM-15 gas mask known as the Bandmaske.This is the 2nd type of gas mask worn by Imperial German soldier during WW1, with the first being the Linienmaske. Gas masks were constantly improved throughout the war culminating in the more familiar M.17 Lederschutzemaske with its spider frame over the lenses.

This example is in good used condition with the filter marked 15 MarZ 1918. There are instructions in the base of the carrying can and spare lenses in the lid. One of the more noticeable improvements over the first mask, the Linien mask, is the addition of Y straps at the back to stop the mask slipping down. This was also the first type with a removal filter meaning it could be changed during battle. These came in three sizes with this example being the smallest as denoted by the numeral 1 printed on the rubberised cloth mask.

These now appear to be relatively scarce compared with the later M17 perhaps partly due to them being upgraded when the M17 was introduced, which then saw out the war and left battlefield as a trophy.

The period image shows an Imperial German Stormtrooper with a rubberised cloth gas mask and M16 helmet.

Andy
    GM-15 Rubberised cloth gas mask and carrying can.GM-15 Rubberised cloth gas mask and carrying can.GM-15 Rubberised cloth gas mask and carrying can.GM-15 Rubberised cloth gas mask and carrying can.GM-15 Rubberised cloth gas mask and carrying can.GM-15 Rubberised cloth gas mask and carrying can.GM-15 Rubberised cloth gas mask and carrying can.GM-15 Rubberised cloth gas mask and carrying can.GM-15 Rubberised cloth gas mask and carrying can.GM-15 Rubberised cloth gas mask and carrying can.GM-15 Rubberised cloth gas mask and carrying can.
    Last edited by AndyM35; 03-10-2024 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Additional information and typos.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement GM-15 Rubberised cloth gas mask and carrying can.
    P
    Many

?

Fantastic find, Andy!
    That is one superb piece of kit.
    The canvas itself looks to be in remarkably sound condition. I’m always amazed at how well the leather of the later model survives, but the canvas mask tends to be far more fragile. A rare surviving example, indeed!
    With the later canister, it seems this one saw continued use.
    Well done!
    Rob.

Quote by Kohima View Post
    Fantastic find, Andy!
    That is one superb piece of kit.
    The canvas itself looks to be in remarkably sound condition. I’m always amazed at how well the leather of the later model survives, but the canvas mask tends to be far more fragile. A rare surviving example, indeed!
    With the later canister, it seems this one saw continued use.
    Well done!
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob!

Yes, still quite supple and in great condition. I’m still trying to ascertain the differences between the M15 carrying can and the M17 as I think they were quite supple. The mask fits well inside the tin, so I agree with you that the mask was likely issued with the tin and used later in the war. Means also that I could use it for a few different displays as these were worn with Pickelhaubes and steel helmets.

Thanks,
    Andy

?

I think your canister is of the later (final?) pattern, as it has the lens box in the lid, rather than the initial wire frame basket.

Baldwin points to flat bar strap bales pre-dating the round wire type, though my canister (dated 3 Juli 1917), has these ‘early’ bars and ‘late’ lens box - thus, I suspect this is more likely a manufacturer’s variation, rather than a deliberate detail change.
    Is there any hint of the date ink stamp to the base of your canister?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture GM-15 Rubberised cloth gas mask and carrying can.   GM-15 Rubberised cloth gas mask and carrying can.  

Quote by Kohima View Post
    I think your canister is of the later (final?) pattern, as it has the lens box in the lid, rather than the initial wire frame basket.

Baldwin points to flat bar strap bales pre-dating the round wire type, though my canister (dated 3 Juli 1917), has these ‘early’ bars and ‘late’ lens box - thus, I suspect this is more likely a manufacturer’s variation, rather than a deliberate detail change.
    Is there any hint of the date ink stamp to the base of your canister?

Yes, definitely an M17 can Rob. I just wonder if the M17 was ever paired with the earlier type of mask? They do seem to fit quite well together. I have another example of an M17 can which is really cool as it’s named to “Rottig”, in multiple places. See below.

M17 Ledermaske named to Rottig

I’ve left the Rottig named example in the tin. The images with the M17 Ledermaske are with another example that I have. I find these to be one of the more iconic pieces of WW1 German soldier equipment. There were also wooden ersatz carrying cans but I’ve only ever seen one for sale.

Yours is a nice looking can. Thanks for showing! There are no markings on the tin in this post, however the other tin has an illegible stamp and perhaps some numbers on the bottom. See below.