Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Model 1893 and Model 1916 drinking cups (Trinkbecher)

Article about: A couple of new additions to the Imperial Collection are these two examples of Model 1893 and Model 1916 drinking cups (Trinkbecher).The first cup made from aluminium, is a model 1893 and is

Default Model 1893 and Model 1916 drinking cups (Trinkbecher)

A couple of new additions to the Imperial Collection are these two examples of Model 1893 and Model 1916 drinking cups (Trinkbecher).The first cup made from aluminium, is a model 1893 and is pre-war/WW1 as denoted by the six rivets attaching the handles to the body of the cup. This example is not dated and is marked with G.Z. as the manufacturer. This particular cup is extremely light in weight.

The second example is a Model 1916 wartime cup made from sheet steel and enameled by the manufacturer SMW and dated 1917. I haven’t been able to ascertain the full name of either manufacturers at this stage, however most of the wartime enamelled cups that I’ve encountered are variously marked Bing, Wuppertmann, Silesia, R.A.S, or G.R & Co, however there were more manufacturers than I’ve listed here. I’ll update this post when I have more information.

Andy
    Model 1893 and Model 1916 drinking cups (Trinkbecher)Model 1893 and Model 1916 drinking cups (Trinkbecher)Model 1893 and Model 1916 drinking cups (Trinkbecher)Model 1893 and Model 1916 drinking cups (Trinkbecher)Model 1893 and Model 1916 drinking cups (Trinkbecher)
    Last edited by AndyM35; 03-25-2024 at 08:11 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Model 1893 and Model 1916 drinking cups (Trinkbecher)
    P
    Many

Hi Andy..you have been finding some amazing WW I items lately

Quite the rare item and countless conversations with other Soldiers sitting in a trench or bunker.
    Shows alot of character.
    A very uncommon artifact to find.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hi Andy..you have been finding some amazing WW I items lately

Quite the rare item and countless conversations with other Soldiers sitting in a trench or bunker.
    Shows alot of character.
    A very uncommon artifact to find.

Regards Larry
    Thanks Larry! I guess it’s down to my daily “trawl” of the internet. It’s very rare to see anything for sale down here in Australia, so I have to be quite diligent in searching. However, that can get you into trouble because just about everything looks like it would fit into the collection! lol

I’ve been slowly accumulating all of the various bits of kit for a WW1 Imperial German soldier display and have most things, but still looking for the right type of bluse, then I should be able to represent several different periods and configurations.

The cups were certainly an important part of the Germans soldiers kit, but not often seen as most were carried in the backpack. And as you say, the definitely would have figured in some trench chatter and occasional merriment!

Andy

MAP
    ?

You should put all of this 'kit' in a photo.

Great finds!! I like the enameled example best.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    You should put all of this 'kit' in a photo.

Great finds!! I like the enameled example best.
    Thanks Michael! Yes, was thinking of doing that one day on top of a zeltbahn….still need to get one of those too.

I agree regarding the enamelled ones - are quite nice. Mostly always chipped unfortunately, but they often come in a wide variety of shades of enamel ranging from light grey to a bright almost lime green shade!

MAP
    ?

Wish I had the initiative to "trawl" like you do. You certainly have found some great "kit". Love your gas masks. I need to find a nice one some day
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Wish I had the initiative to "trawl" like you do. You certainly have found some great "kit". Love your gas masks. I need to find a nice one some day
    Thanks Michael! Let me know which version you are after and I’ll keep my eyes peeled. The M17 is a lot easier to find and look great with their spider frames around the lenses.

There was actually an ersatz version of the mask container made from wood. They anre very scarce and I’ve only seen two for sale in the last 8 years or so.