Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Original German WW1 Leather Gas Mask and Tin.

Article about: Hello all, Just after some opinions on this WW1 Gas Mask and tin that I am considering purchasing. Its currently being offered as being in original condition with a 1918 filter. It looks goo

Default Original German WW1 Leather Gas Mask and Tin.

Hello all,

Just after some opinions on this WW1 Gas Mask and tin that I am considering purchasing. Its currently being offered as being in original condition with a 1918 filter. It looks good to me but I am curious about the straps on the tin as they appear to be quite clean for a used WW1 item. Currently being offered for $450 US. Opinons?Original German WW1 Leather Gas Mask and Tin.Original German WW1 Leather Gas Mask and Tin.Original German WW1 Leather Gas Mask and Tin.Original German WW1 Leather Gas Mask and Tin.Original German WW1 Leather Gas Mask and Tin.

Also, I have heard that these used asbestos in the filter although I always thought it was charcoal. Can anyone confirm?

As always, thank you!

Andrew

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Original German WW1 Leather Gas Mask and Tin.
    P
    Many

Can't really comment on the mask but regarding asbestos look here
    Gas masks and Asbestos.

Thanks for the reply and the link reneblacky.

Anyone able to comment as to whether this item is authentic or not?

Original.

The straps could be replacements.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thank you Adrian. Yes, they look quite new. This is the first sale for this particular eBay seller and my gut says no so I think I will walk away.

?

Almost all the late war mask cans that I have owned or seen had the "paper cloth" straps. Those on this can do look like modern replacements to me. Don't believe the Germans used asbestos in their masks.

Thank you for the reply aicusv.

?

Hi Andrew,

The straps IMHO could easily be correct - there were a few "ersatz" strap styles. It could also have been reissued post-WW1 with newer straps. The carry can is also an unusual shade of dark green.

Pricewise it's a little dear for my liking - this appears to be a later Ledermaske with the different eyepieces. I believe that these are worth a little less than the earlier examples with the "flys eyes" inner eyepiece rings.

Regards,

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply and information. Yes, the can did appear to be a bit too dark and quite unlike the WW1 field green as on my M16 helmet and mess tin. I would much prefer the the earlier edition and will hold off until something else turns up.

Are you able to shed any light on the idea that they may have used asbestos in the filter? I have not seen any direct reference to it being used in WW1 German Helmets but it would be nice to be certain.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast