Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Possibly? another imperial spade and cover??

Article about: I thought about piggybacking onto Andy's thread https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/field...-cover-819093/ but thought I'd better do one of my own..... I too have an imperial WW1 spade with some

Default Possibly? another imperial spade and cover??

I thought about piggybacking onto Andy's thread Imperial German Entrenching Tool and Cover. but thought I'd better come up with one of my own.....

I too have an imperial WW1 spade with some field grey paint - very much like his - and a cover as well ( sans any markings ) They did NOT come as a set but do fit snugly together.

Possibly? another imperial spade and cover?? Possibly? another imperial spade and cover??

Possibly? another imperial spade and cover?? Possibly? another imperial spade and cover??

Apart from one glaring difference, the cover is also quite the same as his.

Possibly? another imperial spade and cover??

If you haven't noticed the exception, the lower long strap and buckle strap are sewn on the INSIDE, not the outside!! What the???
    Do I have an imperial shovel and cover or, if not, what is it??

All comments appreciated,
    Cheers, Dan
    Last edited by Danmark; 07-25-2022 at 09:24 AM.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Possibly? another imperial spade and cover??
    P
    Many

Hi Dan,

The carrier looks like a German 1909 model carrier, however there was a lot of variation and the subject is quite confusing the more you delve into it as you don’t see too many examples. Does the spade have a wooden shaft? If so, I would say it is a 1909 model with folded ears like mine. Would love to see a photo of the shaft if possible. Manufacturers markings would make the process a whole lot easier of course.

Andy

Hi mate, here are a couple of ( flash ) shots of the handle. It is more egg shaped than the TR ones I have seen and handled....

There are scratchings on it that may be a name - or just random handling marks?? It is frustrating that there are no manufacturers marks anywhere I can find - that's why I had it put away and forgot about it until you posted yours.

Mmm. Not 100% sure as there were so many variations and add to the mix the fact that the spades of other nations were so similar. The site mp44.nl has some examples of WW2 for comparison. The deeper I dig with these it appears that there’s a lot of confusion and not too many people that focus on them.

Possibly? another imperial spade and cover??Possibly? another imperial spade and cover??

I found these two, one on an old WRF post from 2011 and the other on the Great War Forum. Both were considered legit variants of an imperial carrier.

Thanks for the photos Dan. Yes, I saw the old post last night, if it was the one with the mp44.nl link in it. I wish there was a guru for these but so far I haven’t found one.

?

Vacancy for you then, Andy!

Need more examples Rob! They’re also very similar to WW1 Austrian.