Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Small Ww1 German wire cutters

Article about: Hello Some time ago I managed aquire a box of imperial items brought back by a Kiwi veteran from the Somme. In amongst the various items, (15 dated canteen , 14 dated cups, a 15 dated Bavari

Default Small Ww1 German wire cutters

Hello

Some time ago I managed to aquire a box of imperial items brought back by a Kiwi veteran from the Somme.
    In amongst the various items, (15 dated canteen , 14 dated cups, a 15 dated Bavarian bayonet, trench knife and so on) was this small pair of wire cutters.
    At the time the lady selling the lot didn't think they were military and had just fallen amongst the lot at some stage and threw them in for $20.

I hadn't seen a small set like this before and they had no markings but did have the remains of green paint so wasn't going to say no.

After a little internet searching I did finally find the exact cutters on a site about digging up wire cutters on old battle field sites.

My question is... has anyone seen these or come accross these little snips before.??
    They seem quite elusive compared to the bigger variety.

The site also had a photo showing two chaps holding these baby snips up.

Anyway I thought I would share some photos of mine as they are in fantastic full working condition, even with the leather retaining strap, cool considering how old they must be.

Please note. The canteen in these photos is not from the lot mentioned above. It's a 1916 dated bottle with a 1918 dated cover.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Small Ww1 German wire cutters   Small Ww1 German wire cutters  

Small Ww1 German wire cutters   Small Ww1 German wire cutters  

Small Ww1 German wire cutters  
    Attached Images Attached Images Small Ww1 German wire cutters 
    Last edited by Coreynewzealand; 05-15-2022 at 02:16 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Small Ww1 German wire cutters
    P
    Many

Hi Corey I moved your thread into the main Imperial forum.
    Thankyou for posting....and the supporting period photo is a huge plus

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Nice. I should think (as evidenced by the period photo), these were a specifically Pioniere piece of kit, used in the construction of barbed wire entanglements, rather than breaking through them.
    Obviously far more convenient to carry these about in your pocket (the classic long-armed type being designed to give greater reach when lying prone, under fire).

Nice pickup Corey! What you have is an example of model 1911 spring handled wire cutters.

At the commencement of WW1 they were issued to infantry, artillery and cavalry units. They were issued with a variety of different carrying cases including leather, canvas and or a combination of leather and canvas. It’s nice to see some field grey on your example as many were issued in that colour while some were finished in black.

Very nice grouping and photography!

Andy

Hey thanks Andy.
    Great to have the info on these little cutters.
    Funny just as you mentioned the leather pouch I came across an image of exactly that online.
    My chances of finding a pouch aren't great but you never say never.

Thanks again.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Small Ww1 German wire cutters   Small Ww1 German wire cutters  

I definitely wouldn’t give up hope Corey. If you keep searching I’m sure something will turn up. I guess that’s what makes collecting so interesting, the continuing search to find that missing item!