Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 German Belt Buckle.

Article about: Hey Guys, I got this buckle today, and it has paint on it. All the buckles I've mostly seen have been Brass or a mix or Black or rusty. I'm guessing it was issued painted or field painted? I

?

Default WW1 German Belt Buckle.

Hey Guys,

I got this buckle today, and it has paint on it.
    All the buckles I've mostly seen have been Brass or a mix or Black or rusty.
    I'm guessing it was issued painted or field painted?
    Is there a sticky thread or link that I can read up on this?
    Why are there so many metal variants? Brass, steel, etc..
    The seller had a whole bunch of different kinds of WW1 belt buckles and I stayed out of the fight and went for the standard traditional one.
    The tactic worked.
    I will post what else he had out of interest, and for your enjoyment.

Cheers,
    Danger
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 German Belt Buckle.   WW1 German Belt Buckle.  

WW1 German Belt Buckle.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1 German Belt Buckle.
    P
    Many

?

Here you go. Mix of WW1 and WW2.
    I did want the RAD one too, but it wasn't to be.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 German Belt Buckle.   WW1 German Belt Buckle.  

WW1 German Belt Buckle.   WW1 German Belt Buckle.  

Hello,

Looks like you bought a standard wartime steel buckle in decent condition, Model 1915. These common to find buckles can have a variety of color of painted finish on them, running from gray to various shades of green. Brown is seen infrequently. Black painted finish is seen sometimes on Bavarian Model 1915 steel buckles.

Yes, there is an entirely different section where you can read up on Imperial German buckles, found here: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/imperial-german-buckles/

There is also a section on 3rd Reich buckles, found here: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/germa...aps-1900-1945/

The last buckle you have shown is a hard to find private purchase variant with the spring tab retainer on it. Too bad you didn't acquire that one too. It's one that I don't have in my collection yet, though I have a large variety of these private purchase D.R.G.M. patent variant buckles.

Some of the other buckles that you didn't buy look to be reproductions that are artificially aged. The Weimar buckle is a fake (3rd one down on the left), so is the Jungsturm buckle (5th one down on the left). Not sure if a couple other ones are bad or not as well.

Best Regards,

Alan

?

here is one example of why someone painted a buckle and not just that ...: Allied with the unsuccessful Austrian army, in the war of 1866 against Prussia over the disputed Duchies of Schleswig and Holstein, the Kingdom of Saxony was defeated and occupied within a few days. The resulting peace treaty between the Prussian and Saxony, signed on October 21ST 1866, resulted in a certain amount of independence for the small kingdom but required it to join the newly formed North German Confederation. In February 1867 the eight Saxon Infantry regiments were formally integrated into the Prussian Army. This integration also brought about a change in uniforms from the distinctive green and blue Saxon uniforms to the Prussian style uniforms. The Kingdom of Saxony’s ruling Wettin family retained the right to maintain their motto on the Saxon EM/NCO’s belt buckles.

?

Hi WW1,

Thanks for the info!
    I have always wanted one and they are still common enough that I wasn't in any hurry. This one was very cheap and so I couldn't resist.
    The hard to find one you mentioned was on my radar, I wish I had known it was rare. I had my wife breathing down my neck.
    I had just had a big spend up on a few items and I sneaked in the 1915 buckle.
    Unfortunately my wife doesn't understand I am making investment choices for our future.
    She says they are only investments if you sell them. Like I said, she doesn't understand.

Cheers,

Danger

?

Hi Kekel,

Thank you.
    That is very useful information.
    There are a few story's about standard issue gear being supplemented for personalized equipment and items.
    When did regulations stamp that out?
    Post WW2?
    Was that mostly allowed at NCO/Officer level? Or just if you had the money to do so?

Cheers,

Danger

?

The one you refer to as RAD is actually for the Freiwilliger Arbeitsdienst or FAD, the pre RAD organization. G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

Thanks mate.
    FAD has a "square face shovel" and RAD has " Pointy spade with Swastika"?
    Is the FAD early 30's?
    I have a RAD plaque that I would love to get a matching belt buckle one day.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 German Belt Buckle.  

"She says they are only investments if you sell them. Like I said, she doesn't understand."

That's not an argument you can possibly win!

?

Yeah, tell me about it!!
    She has only ever approved of one of my purchases.
    This flag. She loves this flag.

WW1 German Belt Buckle.