MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WW1 German Gas Mask & Canister

Article about: Hi all, Looking at purchasing this WW1 German gas mask & canister. I've noticed online that all the WW1 canisters have a flat lid, where this has a raised section in the centre. There is

I've taken it off the foam head, as it crossed my mind about stretching the straps. How does everyone display their gas masks without putting them on heads? I'll have to have a closer look at the name on the lid, but definitely is an 'ussman', not sure on the first letter though.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1 German Gas Mask & Canister
    P
    Many

I have displayed my ww1 leder gasmaske on a polystyrene head without issue. As the filter is quite heavy in relation to the mask itself it is possible to balance it on the shelf without too much of the weight being stressed upon the face straps themselves. You could always buy a glass head to place it on?

There are numerous styles of professional grade hat displays for sale on the web. I have a few wooden and padded examples. Here is one suggestion you can look into with a wood top that will not stretch out the mask. These are easy to find for sale on the web. NH

WW1 German Gas Mask & Canister

I don't display any of my masks, as the climate in my collection room isn't ideal for them. They stay packed away in their boxes and bags. I do have one Mk IV mask displayed on a plastic mannequin head, with the straps as loose as they'll go, and a helmet on top to keep it in place.

I've always liked the idea of displaying them half out of their canisters, with just the eyepieces and straps poking out of the open lid. It's a good way to showcase both the canister and the mask, and takes up a bit less space than the addition of a mannequin head or display stand.

Stuffing with acid free tissue paper is also an option. It fills out the mask and keeps it in shape, without having to worry about the fragility of the straps.

B.B.

?

I believe this can with the raised area on the lid is the last pattern for the M17 mask and was probably used on the M18 mask as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2