Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Prussian OR's Belt Buckle

Article about: Hi there guys, wondered if I could pick your brains with this one please ? I bought this last week & have been trying to figure out the damage to it !The buckle itself weighs 45 gramm Th

Default WW1 Prussian OR's Belt Buckle

Hi there guys, wondered if I could pick your brains with this one please ?
    I bought this last week & have been trying to figure out the damage to it !The buckle itself weighs 45 gramm The nickel plate has had quite a 'whack' to it, particularly in the '1-3 o'clock' part, across the T, U & S, which has resulted in the brass underneath slightly buckling & in turn the upper part of the soldered belt catch has separated from the solder, the catch has also bent to the left (when rear of buckle is viewed), curiously the lower belt hinge 'ear' has been bent down ? Now, the patina on all of the buckle is pretty consistent I would say of not having been touched for many years (apart from me just exposing a couple of bits), which then made me wonder if this could have resulted from, say a bayonet being thrust at the wearer, damaging the roundel & at the same time causing the damage to the belt hook ?
    There is some black residue on the top of the buckle & also on the buckle hinge which came off a little (just wanted to confirm it was brass underneath), could this be down to smoke or damp storage over the years ? Wondered what your thoughts might be with this one ?
    Kind regards
    Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Prussian OR's Belt Buckle   WW1 Prussian OR's Belt Buckle  

WW1 Prussian OR's Belt Buckle   WW1 Prussian OR's Belt Buckle  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1 Prussian OR's Belt Buckle
    P
    Many

Paul we a talking a 100 year old artifact here, and most of those years were peacetime. I'm afraid it's impossible to now to say how damage occurred. When i was a kid I played with a lot of war souvenirs in the garden with my friends. They got a bit damaged too. So just enjoy it for what it is today, a nice piece.

?

Both ears by the roller pin should be bent over.

Quote by aicusv View Post
    Both ears by the roller pin should be bent over.
    Yes mate, the ear that is not bent over now, was originally (you can see the crease) which made me wonder how it came to be, through wartime damage maybe ? We will never know !
    Regards Paul

A nice piece!....