Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

About cockades...

Article about: So there's this one thing about the basic Finnish white and blue enamel cockades that's been bothering me. There are two sizes of them. The larger one and the smaller one. What's the differe

Default About cockades...

So there's this one thing about the basic Finnish white and blue enamel cockades that's been bothering me. There are two sizes of them. The larger one and the smaller one. What's the difference between the two variations if any? They seem to be used interchangeably but the wider version is arguably more common in older photos and much rarer find these days. Was there any meaning behind the difference of these designs? Was it perhaps just the case of different manufacturer or maybe a way to save material by making smaller cockades? Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

About cockades...

About cockades...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement About cockades...
    P
    Many

Simple answer.

Top one is older style from 1920-ties
    Lower, Cockade in hat is newer, after 1930-ties made.

-----

In-depth answer.

Both styles were produced at same time during 1930-thirties and maybe even in war-time seeing how often they are encountered in hats.
    At year 1930 Civil guard got new enamel officer cockades, and enamel cockades demand sky-rocketed. I have counted at least 9 different enamel cockade variants.

But only 1. 2. 7. and 9 have wide color edge, which resembe army cockades made in 1920-ties.
    The others 3,4,5,6, and 8. have same frontal punch-carving-tool, but have different backside and have wide differences in quality. Others have murky and some have water-clear enamels.

Numbers 1 and 3. like same ones you posted. Are purely Army and Fire-department enamel cockade makers.
    About cockades...

Thanks for the input! It's pretty much what I thought was the most likely answer. It's these little details that aren't explained in books that I find interesting and like to dwell on. And often they turn out just like this one. Just a design choice of the period. Interesting nonetheless.