Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Dolmetscher Armband "WW1/civilian war"

Article about: Laa-di-Daaa... These are Finnish armbands from "WW1/civilian war" how you want put it... First one is some kind of silk fabric and closes with 3 snap buttons. It has this stamp Deu

?

Default Dolmetscher Armband "WW1/civilian war"

Laa-di-Daaa... These are Finnish armbands from "WW1/civilian war" how you want put it...
    First one is some kind of silk fabric and closes with snap buttons.
    It has this stamp Deutsche Kommandantur Helsingfors, is it German or Finnish stamp? and what is the meaning of 1914 on it?
    I mean Finnish volunteers went Germany to military "Jäger" training at 1915.
    Second is cotton, font size is quite small and it has holders name writen on it and things like that...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by mathat; 04-25-2020 at 12:19 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dolmetscher Armband "WW1/civilian war"
    P
    Many

Very interesting arm-bands, never seen those.

Dolmetscher = Translater. That 1914 number and middle cross pic is same as 1ww iron-cross 1914 number. So it's not indication of stamps year, just middle decoration pic.
    Stamp text says clearly "Deutsche kommendatur Helsingfors" = German Command Helsinki.
    Germans stayed in helsinki till december 1918 and were de facto leader of capital city during their stay. Its not jäger related.

Dolmetscher Etenäs = I think it is suppose to read Ekenäs, swedish place name which is Tammisaari in finnish. Germans made landing to Hanko 1918, Ekenäs coastal town is 30km east away from it.
    So i guess it's user was local civilian or civil guard member in Ekenäs.

Accidental double post.

Still really interesting, those armbands doesn't show up in Civil war decorations and unit insignia book, maybe because they are german made.

That silk armband with HQ stamp, must have belonged to officer, noting it's quality compared to other Ekenäs cotton arm-band.

?

Yea i had a feeling that you would like to see these.

Quote by Verikauha View Post
    is same as 1ww iron-cross 1914 number. So it's not indication of stamps year, just middle decoration pic.
    I thought so too that 1914 might be just decoration, but i was also kind of thinking did they (Jägers) need a interpreter while they were in Germany.

Dolmetscher Etenäs = I think it is suppose to read Ekenäs, swedish place name which is Tammisaari in finnish.
    Oh it's E i didn't make any sense what that first letter is.
    Ok so i looked bit more this font it is Fraktur it was very common font in a German-speaking countries, but it was used small extent in Finland too.
    Etenäs actually it's not misspelled it is k its very similar to t, so Ekenäs it is.

...maybe because they are german made.
    Yea could be, hard to say, nothing to compare...
    Some Finnish bands were made of silk, some of those cote of arms armbands. But i think they are bit bigger and stitching
    what closes/prevents tearing is different. This is desing to be armband/band it wasn't cut/made from large piece of silk.

That silk armband with HQ stamp, must have belonged to officer, noting it's quality compared to other Ekenäs cotton arm-band.
    Hard to say i have a picture of him from 1940 his rank is sotilasvirkamies 1 luokka.
    But if that HQ armband is German made it could be that they gave it to him, something like heres you better one.
    Anyways heres a picture of those snap buttons.
    Theres some VigLink adding some pointles Ebay links to these texts... like above...
    Last edited by mathat; 04-25-2020 at 01:38 PM.

Oh it's Fraktur text type, did learn something new. I always thougt it just painfull and slow to read for extra wriggling letters.

Did quick scroll books 1918 unit badge and insignia names. It seems every hometown unit created their own badges/armbands on their own initiative. One reason why there is so many different kinds and types were creatied out of nothing so there is no standardization in these. And some of them had only description but no live samples found.

Those snap buttons are kinda universal, 1930-ties civil guard armbands i had also had exact similar buttons.

Sotilasvirkamies, so the user was finnish civilian contractor with possible merchant or technical training background, reason why he was fluent speaking German.

?

creatied out of nothing so there is no standardization in these.
    Only standardization must been red or white
    Yea guess translators didn't necessarily need a armband, cos anyone who roughly knows the language could be translator.
    I assume they had official translators, how were named to that job and wear these kind armbands for that duty.

But i found similar style military priest stamp while searching google its a finnish stamp so finnish made bands they likely be.
    Its font is Caslon 3 "Bold" different versions of it has been used since 1700s.

Yes kind of merchant he was... Thanks for your input again!