Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Finnish Helmet Liners

Article about: Hello all! I'm kind of curious about Finnish helmet liners. What are the Finnish liner types and when were they used? If they were used at the same time was there any rhyme or reason or did

Default Finnish Helmet Liners

Hello all!
    I'm kind of curious about Finnish helmet liners. What are the Finnish liner types and when were they used? If they were used at the same time was there any rhyme or reason or did they just use whatever they have? I ask since I got a Hungarian M38 in the mail yesterday from IMA USA. I'll probably be making another post about it when I have a phone to use it's camera.

Anyways, thanks in advance.

-Mason.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Finnish Helmet Liners
    P
    Many

First counter question related to helmet, does it has original 3 holes or Finnish made 5 holes in helmet for liner.
    ---
    Finns only had official liner models for after-war helmets, m/55 5-holes attachment for all german types, J/53-Schweden for all swedish m/37 m/62 ball helmet types.

Before war, there was only repair/replacement system for ww1 german horn helmets. It was copy of german m/16 full leather liner and 3-cushion pads. Before and war-time repairs were done to original 3-holes. After-war repairs ~1947-> were done by 5-hole system for better attachments to helmet.

For other helmet types, Finns did try repair them similar like their original helmet liners, m/34 chez, m/37 swedish m/40 finn.

The new war-time helmets. Finns didn't bother repair their helmet liners that muchs, becouse we accuired over the quota 550 000 helmets for field army. Thats why there was no repair system for m/38 Hung, m/35 m/40 m/42 german, m/33 italian russian and other minor types. Or we just didn't have extra time to repair their liners only after the war.

It's a 3 pin liner system. White liner with a smallish and wide rectagular shape of small holes on the front of the liner (Not sure how else to describe it)

Sounds interesting. Thanks for the information!

-Mason

?

Is this the type of liner you are asking about.

Finnish Helmet Liners

If it is this model liner is West German and my understating Finland was supplied with refitted helmets both German and Hungarian in the 50s using these liners

There is a bit more information here.

Finlandia modelos extranjeros

Steve

I deciced to read helmet book a little more. Info related to helmet liners above

"1955 Finland bought 50.000 new helmet shells (m/55) from germany. Finnish depot used first "classic" liner for them (copy of m/16 liner). Soon they moved to new liner solution. The new cushioned fiber-band (pic above) liners were made domestically by three different companies."

In short, its Finnish made liner, and 3 different companies does explain leather color variations. White, yellow and brown.