Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

My Jaeger Battalion 27 badge

Article about: My best acquisition this year, and One of most desired badges of Finnish militaria, the JB 27 badge. Woohoo! Small history. The Jaeger Badges were awarded to members of the Finnish Jaeger Mo

Default My Jaeger Battalion 27 badge

My best acquisition this year, and One of most desired badges of Finnish militaria, the JB 27 badge. Woohoo!

Small history.
    The Jaeger Badges were awarded to members of the Finnish Jaeger Movement for participation in military training and service in the Royal 27th Prussian Jaeger Battalion in the German Army during years 1915–1918. The badge was designed by Mrs. Ellinor Ivalo. The badges were ordered from Turku by jeweler W. Pettersson. The first 300 numbered badges were distributed on February 25, 1919, at the Jaegers home return one-year celebration. The rest of the approximately total 1,600 numbered badges were distributed through the Jaeger office.

The badge numbering for the JB 27 members papers are lost in times. It was desired during it's time as it also permitted soldier pensions.
    Not all 2000 Jaeger members received it, as some had communist activity, some held sympathies against reds, some deserted to soviet Russia, some Finnish interned seamen (were recruited to JB27) left over the seas, and some had disputes between JB27 members. All those reasons might had prevented getting it.

Quantitatively, 1600 pieces, this badge should not be uncommon, but it seems over half of them has been lost and disappeared in time. 1920-ties Finland was most unstable and violent decade in recent history.
    ---
    This badge, it had originally 2 soft metal pins, but goldsmith has replaced them by pin-srew attachment. And afterward screw has been replaced again by new pins.
    Very neatly "repaired" backround, but this badge has seen some use! I will add this decoration to one of my tunic.
    The serial number is under that round plate.

My Jaeger Battalion 27 badge My Jaeger Battalion 27 badge
    Original attachment shown, stolen photo, not mine.
    My Jaeger Battalion 27 badge

Also pics include my two JB 27 jäger hats, m/1910 Krätzchen and 1915 year private purchase visor cap (Jaeger Eigentumsstück Schirmmütze)

My Jaeger Battalion 27 badge My Jaeger Battalion 27 badge

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My Jaeger Battalion 27 badge
    P
    Many

CBH
    ?

Beautiful badge, I just watched a video on YouTube about this unit.
    The Great War (on the road) The Finish Jager in WW1.
    Sorry I couldn’t get a link to work.
    Pretty interesting with lots of scenes of where they trained etc.

MAP
    ?

Never seen one, or even knew they existed. Looks like a beautiful piece!

Congrats
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

very rare badge ! congratulations

CBH
    ?

It’s an interesting story, they where Russian citizens who travelled to Germany for training.
    The video is very interesting, and if you haven’t watch any of that series it’s well worth it.

?

Oh you have gotten one of those. Yea those are one of the most wanted Finnish badges as well anything related to 27th Jaeger Battalion...
    Interesting times this early 1900s there was al kinds of big and small things happening...

Finland's Independence Presidential Ceremonies always starts with March of the Finnish Jaeger Battalion...
    Jean Sibelius composed it to 27th Jaeger Battalion in 1917...

?

Quote by CBH View Post
    It’s an interesting story, they where Russian citizens who travelled to Germany for training.
    Mmm... Hard to say, passports came after WW1... But yes...
    Between 1809 to 1917 Finland was an autonomous part of the Russian Empire, entitled the Grand Duchy of Finland.

There is a partial roll of the recipients by the number, but I have no idea how to get at it. Here are my pieces
    27th Royal Prussian Jagers