Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Restoration of Finnish issued M17 helmet

Article about: Hey. Here's the very summed up process of restoring a Finnish issued Austro-Hungarian M17 helmet. The first picture shows the condition I got it; paint in really bad condition and sanded dow

Default Restoration of Finnish issued M17 helmet

Hey.

Here's the very summed up process of restoring a Finnish issued Austro-Hungarian M17 helmet.

The first picture shows the condition I got it; paint in really bad condition and sanded down to bare metal in some areas. Also the rim in front was bent.

The second picture shows the result after sanding and spray painting the first layer.

From there on I proceeded to brush paint it. Inside it goes around the liner as crudely as normal for these Finnish ones.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Restoration of Finnish issued M17 helmet   Restoration of Finnish issued M17 helmet  

Restoration of Finnish issued M17 helmet   Restoration of Finnish issued M17 helmet  

Restoration of Finnish issued M17 helmet   Restoration of Finnish issued M17 helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Restoration of Finnish issued M17 helmet
    P
    Many

Acceptable restoration, good job

Whoever previous owner decided to sandpaper helmet clean, already ruined it anyway

What paints did you use? Spray paint and dark brush paint. I should re-paint my finnish Yellow training m/35 tankmine back to green.

Thank you!

I used FOSCO Forest Green as the base spray and I brushed Teknos Futura Aqua 5 over it. To the first layer I added a bit water to dilute it, but to the final layer I didnt add any as I preferred it as dark green as possible.

Agreed, the helmet was ruined already, which is why it was the perfect candidate!

The M/35 will look great after the restoration

Very nice job. Well worth the time and effort you put into it.