Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

ACS Police Bayonet Help & Questions Please

Article about: I ran across this bayonet at a pawn shop on a trip up north. Thought worth taking a couple of pics to learn something and potential purchase. He was not sure about authenticity and I am also

Default ACS Police Bayonet Help & Questions Please

I ran across this bayonet at a pawn shop on a trip up north. Thought worth taking a couple of pics to learn something and potential purchase. He was not sure about authenticity and I am also not sure. Is this a WWI dress type bayonet that someone added the emblem to to enhance or refurbished for WWII? The emblem looks okay to me but does not seem to fit well. The horn grips look okay to me. The offset rivets also bother me. I have seen a couple examples that were deemed original and fake both! I am leaning towards fake. The scabbard, not pictured is leather with metal throat and tip. Condition of scabbard was only marginal but looked original to me. No real issues with overall blade and in good condition. All thoughts and opinions are appreciated. I should have taken more pics when I was there. About 90 minutes from home. Thank you for taking the time to look and opine. All comments are appreciated.
    John

ACS Police Bayonet Help & Questions PleaseACS Police Bayonet Help & Questions PleaseACS Police Bayonet Help & Questions PleaseACS Police Bayonet Help & Questions Please

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ACS Police Bayonet Help & Questions Please
    P
    Many

Largely authentic but some messing with IMO. Always get that photo of the blade John, it plays a key part in any overall assessment. It is a Weimar era Polizei side arm. The blade should have been shortened to 12-13 inch, unless made as a short version. Seems like some filing of the rear crossguard has occured to perhaps remove the accountability details. The scabbard marks indicate Schutzpolizei Hannover and weapon number. The grip plates rivets are a little different to what we usually see, but may be a regional issue and the front grip plate and eagle attachment is a bit rough, that may be some "restoration work" but probably OK. Depends a lot on price really as whether worth picking up.

Thank you Anderson. I did not take pics of the blade because I thought it was going to get a bunch of thumbs down. The blade was shortened and looked good to me.
    John